Mobile DJ / Con or not?

Has anyone has similar issues when booking a mobile DJ? We booked a DJ about 8 weeks ago for a family event; we were quoted £20 per hour and paid a £20 deposit. Then about 4 weeks prior to the event we had a text from the DJ we booked with, stating that he had been robbed of all his equipment and had passed our booking to a colleague, with a new cost at £30 per hour. We were sent the number to contact the new DJ, this sounded odd, so we decided to cancel. Two weeks later we are still trying to get our deposit back as the original DJ says the he has not cancelled the event or broken the agreement, which in my opinion, the change in hourly rate is contractual change.

What are your thoughts?

Unprofessional and a con artist comes to mind, if you have a proper contract it should contain a clause regarding him cancelling. It should also say that any replacement DJ is at the same cost as your contract with them.

Your contract is with that DJ (unless you have gone through an agency and you have contracted with them), If they decide to sub out then they must stand any difference.

Ask them where it is that they are allowed to charge extra to supply someone else?

It may be a genuine reason for passign the gig on but people like that give some of the good mobile guys on here a bad name.

Always advise any of my friends to go with someone with a proper contract or i sort it out for them and i stand any differences

Unprofessional and a con artist comes to mind, if you have a proper contract it should contain a clause regarding him cancelling. It should also say that any replacement DJ is at the same cost as your contract with them.

Your contract is with that DJ (unless you have gone through an agency and you have contracted with them), If they decide to sub out then they must stand any difference.

Ask them where it is that they are allowed to charge extra to supply someone else?

It may be a genuine reason for passign the gig on but people like that give some of the good mobile guys on here a bad name.

Always advise any of my friends to go with someone with a proper contract or i sort it out for them and i stand any differences

Thanks for the responses, conned is exactly how we feel, I am afraid we have no written contract, but we do have a file of text and e-mails that I believe form a contract, i.e. we have an agreed cost / hourly rate and agreed date and venue with said person, all which were dishonoured when the price and operator were changed.

I would advise anyone who is booking a DJ to have a contract with them signed and countersigned. Any DJ worth their salt would have one and it prevents any complications if either side wish to pull out (ive known instances where a dj has gone to another gig on the night and simply not turned up but with no contract there is no proof they were booked, they just simply took the more money and left a party high and dry)

If you have an alternative DJ already lined up then use them and tell the other one that the booking is cancelled with them or any of thier sub contracted dj's. If they moan then its simple

You originally booked with them

They wished to cancel

You do not require the other dj as you have not approved either the cost of it or the dj themselves.

you will have to write off the deposit though probably as it sounds like you dont stand much chance of getting it back. You could ask them what agreement they dont think they have broken as it then gives you the lead in to ask the questions above

But if i was you this close to the gig I would get an alternative (there are many fine guys on here depending what you are after if you havent already booked one) and advise in writing to the original DJ that their services are not required following the DJ withdrawing from the booking and that any other DJ supplied by them will not be allowed in the building and no further correspondance will be entered into.

Has anyone has similar issues when booking a mobile DJ? We booked a DJ about 8 weeks ago for a family event; we were quoted £20 per hour and paid a £20 deposit. Then about 4 weeks prior to the event we had a text from the DJ we booked with, stating that he had been robbed of all his equipment and had passed our booking to a colleague, with a new cost at £30 per hour. We were sent the number to contact the new DJ, this sounded odd, so we decided to cancel. Two weeks later we are still trying to get our deposit back as the original DJ says the he has not cancelled the event or broken the agreement, which in my opinion, the change in hourly rate is contractual change.

What are your thoughts?

I'm not up on formal contracts and law.

However, if this DJ's reason for transferring the work to another DJ was genuine, at least it should have been transferred over at the agreed price.

The network of DJ's I'm mates with would help each other out with business in that way, as we want what's best for the client.

We want our customers to remember us for looking after their good will and business, even if we can't do the job our selves.

I would advise anyone who is booking a DJ to have a contract with them signed and countersigned. Any DJ worth their salt would have one and it prevents any complications if either side wish to pull out (ive known instances where a dj has gone to another gig on the night and simply not turned up but with no contract there is no proof they were booked, they just simply took the more money and left a party high and dry)

If you have an alternative DJ already lined up then use them and tell the other one that the booking is cancelled with them or any of thier sub contracted dj's. If they moan then its simple

You originally booked with them

They wished to cancel

You do not require the other dj as you have not approved either the cost of it or the dj themselves.

you will have to write off the deposit though probably as it sounds like you dont stand much chance of getting it back. You could ask them what agreement they dont think they have broken as it then gives you the lead in to ask the questions above

But if i was you this close to the gig I would get an alternative (there are many fine guys on here depending what you are after if you havent already booked one) and advise in writing to the original DJ that their services are not required following the DJ withdrawing from the booking and that any other DJ supplied by them will not be allowed in the building and no further correspondance will be entered into.

What he said :thumbsup:

The price was agreed, so anyone that the original dj sends in his place should be at £20 per hour.

I have a wedding booked for April, but I have to go into hospital to have an op, so I have already arranged a replacement dj at the same cost, should I still be in hospital on the wedding day.

I wouldnt be surprised to find the dj they booked is just trying to get an extra £10 an hour..

Archived