How to choose a new dishwasher

orbs

Uses less hot water than handwashing..energy saver. Was in Which Mag.

Uses miles more electricity than hand washing though.

Uses miles more electricity than hand washing though.

So what?

The money you save in heating water for several sinkloads of hand-washing up makes up for the extra cost/carbon footprint of the electricity. Plus, you do not use any tea-towels, which would then need to be laundered, costing more money.

Do you handwash all your clothes too, to avoid being lazy and wasting electricity with a washing machine?

Your argument is nonsense.

OP, I'd get rid of the built in model and go for an IKEA one with a 5 year guarantee, or alternatively, whatever's cheapest. We put a BEKO one for £180 in a strudent house three years ago and it's still going strong. I honestly think they are much of a muchness until you get to the Miele type commercial models at £800.

how can you trust anything electrical off ebay? my oh only bought 1 item he saw it working before buying, then when he used it it shattered apart!

bought plenty of stuff and never had a problem. If you know what to llok for and lots of stuff is just etailers which comes with manufacturers guarantees as well. As you say your experience is 1 item. Justs stick to a shop then.

How lazy do you have to be to have a dishwasher?!

In my case I'm not lazy, I've got one arm that doesn't work. I simply refuse to apologise for using aids to make living without daily carers possible.

For everybody else, yes, a dishwasher uses electricity, but it takes in cold water, so you save on the amount of water being heated by your boiler. There is an overall higher energy cost using a dishwasher, but it's not half as much energy as most people think is used, just like the amount of water used is much less than most people think.

EDIT- to answer the OP, I had a built in dishwasher when I fitted my kitchen but when that died I just couldn't afford to replace it with another integrated one, so I took out the old one and took out the cupboard in which it had stood, tinkered with the plinth so that it opened up a gap to allow a free standing slimline dishwasher to go into the same gap. Free standing ones may not look as neat but they cost a huge amount less.

Aaaargggghhhhh!

Our dishwasher has started doing that thing where it stops mid-cycle and the green 'on' light flashes on and off rapidly.

I remember this happening years ago (with a different model) but I cannot remember what it meant or what we did to remedy it.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

We had the same problem when our integrated dishwasher broke down. Had it mended, but was such a problem getting it out and then back into its housing. When we had a new kitchen, I decided to have non-integrated appliances, so my dishwasher is now a free standing one. We chose the best one we could afford, one with a small choice of programmes, because we only ever used one on the old dishwasher. It isnt too heavy, so is easily pulled out to clean behind, and its worked out ok for us.

Archived