Lack of jobs? Or lack of unskilled jobs

It is far easier to apply for jobs nowadays than it was in the past. Sending your CV to an employer takes seconds. Even filling in an online application takes far less time than filling in a paper form, you can copy and paste from your CV and re-use the same application for jobs from the same firm. This has to be a factor in the number of applicants for jobs.

What kind of rubbish is that you're spouting? It takes seconds to send a CV indeed! It only takes a few seconds to walk to a post box as well. Why does it take a shorter amount to time to type rather than write? You still have to think about you're writing and there's absolutely no way I'd copy and paste stock replies to questions I'd expect to see on an online application form, assuming that's the convention anyway, because the sifters will pick up on it straight away and throw your application in the bin. I'd rather take the time to fill out an application form properly and with sincerity

---------- Post added 09-04-2014 at 11:42 ----------

What are you on about? I posted that I wouldn't discriminate an over qualified person from an interview.

So you'd discriminate then if two candidates were as good as each other. I've seen it happen before. Also, there is a great deal of subjectivity in deciding deciding whom may be the best person for the job.

What really ****** me off is employers with a list of prerequisite skills. What has happened to on the job training? Shows a complete lack of commitment.

I assume that you have never worked in recruitment or at any level with power within an organisation?

Are you seriously saying that because I have a good work ethic (never off sick or late etc) that a company like Microsoft should employ me as their lead programmer? I struggle to program an alarm clock but they could give me on the job training.

It is incredibly expensive to train a new employee, so ideally you need a new recruit to need as little training as possible. I have worked for a call centre, the cost to put a new recruit on the phones was between 3 and 4 thousand pounds!

I would say there is a lack of skilled managers and hr departments unable to read trends and plan for the future.

There will be a surge of work as things improve which will stress the current work force until new employees are skilled.

A work life balance is a myth with some employers asking staff to work longer instead of employing more people. Such managers are incompetent and needs to be overseen.

Some managers are incompetent, not everyone is good at their job. Managers aren't some super bread that are awesome at their jobs, they are just people.

What kind of rubbish is that you're spouting? It takes seconds to send a CV indeed! It only takes a few seconds to walk to a post box as well. Why does it take a shorter amount to time to type rather than write? You still have to think about you're writing and there's absolutely no way I'd copy and paste stock replies to questions I'd expect to see on an online application form, assuming that's the convention anyway, because the sifters will pick up on it straight away and throw your application in the bin. I'd rather take the time to fill out an application form properly and with sincerity

---------- Post added 09-04-2014 at 11:42 ----------

So you'd discriminate then if two candidates were as good as each other. I've seen it happen before

Mecky are you seriously saying it takes no less time to apply online for a job then it does to apply in the old fashioned way? That is staggering in it's naivety.

Mecky are you seriously saying it takes no less time to apply online for a job then it does to apply in the old fashioned way? That is staggering in it's naivety.

Why is it? My writing is as fast as I can type, if not faster, though I do admit I'm not the world's greatest typist. As I said, you still have to think about what your putting into an application, either typing or writing.

So you'd discriminate then if two candidates were as good as each other. I've seen it happen before. Also, there is a great deal of subjectivity in deciding deciding whom may be the best person for the job.

Nope, I'd do further research to see which one has the edge. It might be that there isn't any edge (although detailed interviewing on their technical and personal merits should produce the outcome) and you just have to pick one at random.

I'm not sure why you're taking this direction of argument. I simply said that I wouldn't dismiss a candidate just because they're over qualified, like someone else posted they would. My experience has shown they may have valid reasons for wanting the job, even though some may consider it "beneath them".

Nope, I'd do further research to see which one has the edge. It might be that there isn't any edge (although detailed interviewing on their technical and personal merits should produce the outcome) and you just have to pick one at random.

I'm not sure why you're taking this direction of argument. I simply said that I wouldn't dismiss a candidate just because they're over qualified, like someone else posted they would. My experience has shown they may have valid reasons for wanting the job, even though some may consider it "beneath them".

So that is subjectivity then. The point I'm making is that job recruitment is not a level playing field as some employers try and make out

Why is it? My writing is as fast as I can type, if not faster, though I do admit I'm not the world's greatest typist. As I said, you still have to think about what your putting into an application, either typing or writing.

Imagine that instead of replying to my question in minutes, you had to write a letter, take it to the post office, post it. Then I had to wait a couple of days for it to be delivered before I went through the same process again. Are you seriously saying that corresponding online is not quicker than by post?

If you want we can have a competition? I will apply for 100 jobs online, you do it in person or by postal mail. The person who takes the longest has to donate £50 to the victors chosen charity?

If you have anywhere near the skills necessary apply anyway. I work in IT many recruiters put out adverts which amount to a wishlist of skills and experience, even for what are effectively junior positions. If you talk to the people who are actually doing the job you'll find they're perfectly prepared to bring in people who don't have all skills listed, one company put out several adverts in quick succession with a wide variety of skills and experience required, turned out it was the same job

Imagine that instead of replying to my question in minutes, you had to write a letter, take it to the post office, post it. Then I had to wait a couple of days for it to be delivered before I went through the same process again. Are you seriously saying that corresponding online is not quicker than by post?

If you want we can have a competition? I will apply for 100 jobs online, you do it in person or by postal mail. The person who takes the longest has to donate £50 to the victors chosen charity?

Or it could go onto a database and not looked at for 3 weeks or at indeed at all by be deleted intentionally or not, or even get corrupted.

Besides, I'd reckon an employee would rather check handwritten skills rather than look at something which may have been through a spell and crammar checking tool

What skills do you think are lacking in our unemployed that would prevent them taking a job in a supermarket?

Ability to get off a mattress.

I listened to a Radio Sheffield interview with one of our long term unemployed. He was off for an interview with a company called "The Range". When asked what the company did he had no idea. I think he said it was a restaurant chain.

I assume that you have never worked in recruitment or at any level with power within an organisation?

I have worked for a call centre, the cost to put a new recruit on the phones was between 3 and 4 thousand pounds!

Some managers are incompetent, not everyone is good at their job. Managers aren't some super bread that are awesome at their jobs, they are just people.

Wrong on so many levels, but I can see why - look at the Co-op group & banking sector. It is all mismanagement. People cannot become employed until managers are empowered with the right education and tools.

Management courses are an expensive and time consuming investment for small and medium businesses.

Archived