Is it better to die than to live?

Suppose it's true that after death, some of us will be transformed into something better then taken to a better place.

Does this mean that it's better to die than to live?

I'll settle for life as it is. I've no faith in the belief that there's something better beyond that.

Suppose it's true that after death, some of us will be transformed into something better then taken to a better place.

Does this mean that it's better to die than to live?

After death we will decompose. There is no better place than Earth, and there would be no point in being there anyway once we are dead.

That said, the slimy mush that corpses decompose into initially would be a 'transformation for the better' for a number of unpleasant people who are alive today.

After death we will decompose. There is no better place than Earth, and there would be no point in being there anyway once we are dead.

That said, the slimy mush that corpses decompose into initially would be a 'transformation for the better' for a number of unpleasant people who are alive today.

That's physical only. The spirit we can't answer for at this time.

There is no 'spirit'.

Switch off reality mode for a sec!!

'What if'- Consciousness is constant and only the vessel dies? And yes, I'm aware that we should have memories of our previous lives if that was the case, but, how many of us have memories of our birth?

That's physical only. The spirit we can't answer for at this time.

Apparently you can if you believe in things that go bump in the night. It's only when you answer for them that the state your mental health is equally questioned. there's loads of em about. :hihi:

---------- Post added 04-03-2014 at 20:46 ----------

You mean switch into unreality mode..like the crystal gazers?

Actually unreality mode is ok in small doses, I'm quite entertained by myths, goblins, biblical blockbusters and such shenanigans. I stop though at the idea while watching Jason and the Argonauts that if I don't take it seriously I'll be condemned to the ever eternal damnation that the Cracken will take me from behind every night.

'What if'- Consciousness is constant and only the vessel dies? And yes, I'm aware that we should have memories of our previous lives if that was the case, but, how many of us have memories of our birth?

• There are really good reasons why we don't remember our own birth, one being that our brains are simply not mature enough at that age.
  • We have no previous lives to remember.
  • There is no mechanism by which conciousness could exist without a functional brain, be that organic or electronic.

• There is no mechanism by which conciousness could exist without a functional brain, be that organic or electronic.

How can you know that?

Empirically speaking?

Or is it simply tautology like the OP - namely that here the term "functional brain" is implicitly defined as a 'system giving rise to consciousness'?

Archived