Is it better to die than to live?

I do not believe there is a better place after we die.

I believe that my consciousness will disappear when there is no living body to sustain it.

So I look forward to living on, despite the problems of aging - there's nowhere else to go!

In one of his Mars books (maybe Warlord of Mars), Edgar Rice Burroughs depicts a long-lived race, members of which eventually become bored after thousand year long lives; they go on pilgrimage down the River Iss to a world of wonder.

In fact, they get eaten by carnivorous plants, but any who escape to tell the tale are executed for blasphemy.

• There are really good reasons why we don't remember our own birth, one being that our brains are simply not mature enough at that age.
  • We have no previous lives to remember.
  • There is no mechanism by which conciousness could exist without a functional brain, be that organic or electronic.

Can you explain near death experiences then? When people have 'died,' gone on a journey, and come back?

All of the 'lack of oxygen in the brain' theories etc have been disproved.

Yes, they are delusions, created by the brain to try and cope with death.

The same delusion, across space and time? From a mixture of different brains, all in different circumstances, some stressed, others not, with different mixtures of chemicals in the brain at the time of death?

The same delusion, across space and time? From a mixture of different brains, all in different circumstances, some stressed, others not, with different mixtures of chemicals in the brain at the time of death?

What do you mean the same delusion? People have different, mutually exclusive delusions. There are some commonalities but that's to be expected if its the same process occurring in their brains.

Find me a Christian who has a near death experience where they see a Hindu god.

Or find me a Hindu who has a near death experience where they see Jesus.

Nope, people see things from their own culture, or their own lives.

How can you explain that?

What do you mean the same delusion? People have different, mutually exclusive delusions. There are some commonalities but that's to be expected if its the same process occurring in their brains.

Studies have found that across all cultures that they experience a 'being of light' (which they may or may not attribute to their own culture,) and meeting deceased loved ones.

Common elements are a 'tunnel,' or 'journey' from darkness into light, a beautiful place, often a garden, a prescence or being of light, telepathic communication, feelings of peace, joy and tranquility, a life review, a barrier beyond which they must not cross, and being sent back.

Many report a marked change or attitude to life after the event, and knowing they have had a profound, life changing experience.

Suppose it's true that after death, some of us will be transformed into something better then taken to a better place.

Does this mean that it's better to die than to live?

IMO living has to be the better option, but some sadly decide to cash in their chips early; some have no say in it. One thing I've often wondered, we know we're alive, will we know we're dead.

Yes, they are delusions, created by the brain to try and cope with death.
That's not an explanation, that's an opinion, and you're welcome to it. Have you never been to some place you never went before, and felt you had been there. Deja Vu exists and causes me to wonder why. That's all, not some prior claim to an afterlife.

Studies have found that across all cultures that they experience a 'being of light' (which they may or may not attribute to their own culture,) and meeting deceased loved ones.

Common elements are a 'tunnel,' or 'journey' from darkness into light, a beautiful place, often a garden, a prescence or being of light, telepathic communication, feelings of peace, joy and tranquility, a life review, a barrier beyond which they must not cross, and being sent back.

Many report a marked change or attitude to life after the event, and knowing they have had a profound, life changing experience.

And do you think that the brain is not capable of producing such things?

Studies have also found that people have different, mutually exclusive delusions. There are some commonalities but that's to be expected if its the same process occurring in their brains.

---------- Post added 05-03-2014 at 16:39 ----------

That's not an explanation, that's an opinion, and you're welcome to it.
? It is an explanation, and my opinion.

Have you never been to some place you never went before, and felt you had been there. Deja Vu exists and causes me to wonder why. That's all, not some prior claim to an afterlife.

Ok, and what do you think is more likely, that your brain is tricking you into thinking you've been there before (something it's very capable of doing), or that you have somehow magically been there before in some sort of supernatural way?

What about the cases of people who've had experiences of watching the operation from a vantage point & relaying back conversations between the surgeon & nurses, also studies have placed objects at high level that the patient could never have known existed & these have been recounted when the patient regained consciousness.

Archived