Life at Cambridge motor co, Division st 1970's

Here's a sad tale but a story all the same.My first bike was a James Captain 197cc in the sixties.I subsequently went on to own many bikes and cars since.One day some years ago I saw a 1954 James Captain advertized in E&Mart so for old times sake I bought it and me and the wife went round the moors a few times on it (remembering our youth in some hidden places).

I eventually sold it to David at Leather &simpsons on Flora St.

About 18 months later we happened to be out Barnsley way at a vintage car/bike rally.walking round we happened across our old James(I recognized the Reg) and got talking to the owner and his friend also on a James.Two nicer older guys you could not wish to meet!

We had a yarn shook hands and departed...........I happened to read two days later both were killed within 2 hours of our departing in a lorry accident on the way home to Rotherham.

....... guess you never know do you!!!

Bullerboy hi Mel.Your friend learnt a lesson for showing off. This is one that happened earlier, about 1970? My big pose goes wrong. To set the stage. We had a little girl ,Michelle. I thought it would be nice to have some body to look after her on the boat so an advert was placed in the star worded,"wanted child minder to look after our daughter on board motor boat weekends only".My wife looked after the interviews and I saw some lovely looking girls coming and going.The weekend arrived and the door bell rang ."get the door love it will be Sue to look after Michelle." I opened the door and I think I gasped for there stood what I can only describe as a horse in a tweed suit,"my names Sue ".My wife grinned at me, the sort of grin that said it all. The stage almost set,we pulled up along side the jetty to which the boat was partially mored.The full pose, wearing white slacks pumps and blazer. Now on board opened up and let every body get on with it.I was in the wheel house making ready the engines. Started up the port engine followed by the starboard. Some people were gathering across the other side of the harbour entrance only about twenty yards away. I left the engines to warm up ,Sat my self at the helm and noted the smaller boats moored to the front of me thinking that I must take care in leaving the mooring.The single lever controls were port and starboard ,set at the side of corresponding rev counters.To by pass gear selection, the control levers were designed to pull outward and then pushed forward to open the throttle, where a fail safe mechinism prevented drive from being selected,but on this occasion it failed .The throttle was jammed at max revs. I pulled back hard on the starboard lever where it snapped inward to select drive.The boat learched forward until the mooring ropes tightened pulling the jetty away from the bank.By now the even larger gathering of people were being entertained The boat was pirouetting on its bow line ,causing the bow to dig in to the bank. We were now skewing around, heading to crash in to the moored boats.I had very little control over the situation,as I was unable to kill the engines. We were now blocking up the harbour and unable to move until the harbour master and helpers arrived. The jetty had to be cut free and a tractor pulled it back in to place.The harbour was closed for about an hour. Night mares happen when showing off :-/ lol

---------- Post added 06-04-2014 at 15:36 ----------

[/color]Oh carol Lot Of fun with a sad Ending. My brother Mike had a James like the one you describe.A reminder that the end may be near or far ,neither known nor negotiable.. Let's drink a toast to to-morrow .

Edited by David Bee

Kidorry Hi ,one of my banana skin stories!:) kept in short supply to maintain some sort of dignity lol. One more,there was a potograph taken of me and a pal in a dingy which partly sank just afloat on its buoyancy tanks. We were both clutching paddles and appearer to be just sat on the water like some ghostly apparition.it seems my daughter was responsible for taking the bung out before we left and we decided to see if it would sink or would the tanks hold it, and they did.

---------- Post added 06-04-2014 at 18:14 ----------

Suzyoo Ken got me started with boats and they were a lot of fun,great way to spend a weekend although there were times of hero and fool but never a dull moment.:)

...Hillsboro,your fairing was made by Mitchenall Bros, and was an Avonaire.
Thanks for that - I had forgotten the name but Avonaire rings a bell. The panniers were by Craven and came in handy for stowing my kit for a short trip to the Isle of Man in 1972. During a leisurely ride around the TT course I clocked 37.7 miles and my mate clocked 37.9 - I told him he was taking corners too wide..:P

Hillsbro hi,good memories round the tt track, same mileage as the racers record, so sounds as if you had the racing line as you said. MORE STORIES ANYBODY. DOSN'T HAVE TO BE GRAND I T 'S ALL A B O U T F U N:-)

---------- Post added 07-04-2014 at 09:45 ----------

[/color]A little story. It was being mentioned with regard to the types of cars I was driving,and not always kindly and usually behind my back so I decided to agitate the offenders. "Cars international Brian speaking".was the voice of my friend in London. I explained to Brian that I would like to buy something very noticeable and in your face.Brian ran off his usual lists of flamboyant and exciting motor cars and I listened until he came to "new unregistered Cadillac coupe de -ville in primrose yellow with white leather, white ever flex half covered roof, narrow band white wall tyres. " the car was also loaded with the entire options list. Brian and I negotiated the price and the car was registered and dispatched to Division st. On arrival it attracted the attention as all new arrivals did,it was certainly in your face but some how it worked and looked good ,which was a surprise.I was due up at my parents after work and that was my first drive.my mother was very old school and I expected a telling off for my lack of good taste but she remarked "a bit bright David " but she liked it and loved the colour! The Cadillac had the desired effect on my critics who had a field day much to my amusement.The Cadillac was not to stay long.My pal David Lidgard arrived on his daily visit and was accompanied by Peter Stringfellow.We used to go over to Guys and dolls in Manchester some times for a meal with Peter at the club so we had met before. David and Peter had a look around whilst coffee was prepared.David came over and said "I think Peter wants to buy your Cadillac" My brother and I had a rule that every thing was for sale,no exceptions.A deal was struck with Peter and I'm not sure but I think he took it with him there and then.well had my bit of fun and made a profit !lol

---------- Post added 07-04-2014 at 20:49 ----------

More banana skins :-( ! Well so far lots of hard work finding the cars ,buying them ,and finding buyers.We all know that fairy tales by their very nature have a black side and this is no exception.Number one The compensation for all the good luck started with a fraud by London based leasing company.That was for a block purchase by a well known pop group who were completely innocent. That was for six expensive cars and a very cleaver manipulation of title by the leasing company to a merchant bank,leaving us without a penny and no cars,the explanation is a very long story.Number two, a breakdown of two marriages and for me the loss of the most important people in my life, self inflicted. Number three a full tax investigation both personal and business. Thankfully my father who took years teaching me business skills said never,never be dishonest in business,carry your dish straight and that included the revenue .I respected that so the outcome was an adjustment for a very small amount.However I did bless him for his good advice in all things.

---------- Post added 08-04-2014 at 10:28 ----------

:-). Hi,for better or worse there is a new topic on here which anybody can get involved with called LIFE and TIMES motorcycle and motoring stories your fun days disasters and motoring romance. :-)

Edited by David Bee
Addition

Question???

Now that savings have hit the fan,What car or bike would any of you trust your savings with for investment............say up to £30k?

Having just sold some property ,I would be interested in your comments,as money in the bank is useless!!!