Life at Cambridge motor co, Division st 1970's

Pjkay hi,Graham Fowler heid the lease at the show room Division st . we bought the lease from him. His business was called Central Motors.Central motors moved to Scotland St in 1973,and Cambridge motor co opened moving to South millford near Leeds and York in 1979.I don't know where the other names are but we are all of the age of sudden departure.

Pjkay hi,Graham Fowler heid the lease at the show room Division st . we bought the lease from him. His business was called Central Motors.Central motors moved to Scotland St in 1973,and Cambridge motor co opened moving to South millford near Leeds and York in 1979.I don't know where the other names are but we are all of the age of sudden departure.

Yes as I said I left in 1972.. Went to the then Rhodesia.. Seven plus years and call ups for active service but a great time I would never have missed.. Sounds stupid now but the water has long gone.. Met a guy in Bulawayo Called ED HUBBARD... He was an ex con from a jail in Chilli,,, He ran a successful business and eventually took a large sum from the finance companies...he did time in the local prison...He was deported and made money with a car polish business... He was involved in a big court case in UK called the old No1 Bentley...The records are on the web... He sold the car for 10 million pounds and the case is very interesting... He worked for Coys in London? he was an expert on OLD BENTLEYS..He died some time ago but he reached 80 I think.. He had a brilliant brain and made plenty in his lifetime.As you say many years and few of us left... Me still alive but not kicking as well as used to ...Keep in touch...Our past is all we have the future is very unreliable

Pilau Hi,when you say the water is long time gone is that literally drought? Memories are both rich and scared but not boring,through the pain wisdom prevails and we grow.may be we all make King for a day.I am fortunate,I suppose I am still a rebel,look like a sixties drummer from a band you can never quit remember the name of! I refuse to dress or behave the part of my age and at the moment I get away with it.Ride motor bikes and unbelievably a car so much fun. This is a turbo charged Brabus smart cabriolet with 120bhp ,even looks good in silver with a few bits to give it attitude!lol Set up like a go cart with 235/35/17 tyres at the rear and is great fun around the lanes. Bit of a contrast from a Ferrari Daytona,but I love it, more of a friend than a car. Seem to have found my self, nothing to prove,feels good. Have fun , if that is "memory lane ",you don't walk alone. (-: <> :-)

Edited by David Bee

The car traded by Cambridge and in the lovely photo by Hillsbro. is still around. It was one of many specials built up over the years converted from a 1935 Lagonda saloon., and given the replica Rapide Le mans style body., but of course not an original but a replica Rapide.

Hi David

Been reading this thread with interest.

A friend of mine, long since gone, Derek Tankard, used to be your car cleaner and pretty good he was too.

He once told me a tale about a copper who crashed his panda car one morning, took it into John Bee, got it repaired, sprayed and back to Woodseats police station before his shift finished and no one was any the wiser.

After forty years of wondering if it was just a tale or true, could you confirm.

Regards

D.O.N.E

D.o.n.e Hi really good to hear from you. Iam sorry Derek has died he was a real live wire with an infectious laugh.I think he had been a Milk man before he came to us. He was always keen to help and he used to be my driver some times.I remember I had changed my car for a Mercedes-Benz. I wanted Derek to get used to it so we set off from Abbeydale road, driving towards Mill Houses Park.Derek was full of excitement but a bit nervous.The care was automatic which Derek wasn't used to. I was in the passenger seat and as we were passing the park Derek decided to change gear.Of course there was no clutch so Derek's sizeable foot came down on the brake, the car stood on its nose, we were thrown forward so hard that Derek couldn't lift his foot from the brake untill we came to a standstill.The story about the panda car is completely true and no body ever knew at the station!lol I liked Derek he used to scrunch his face up some times when he made a sort of spluttering laugh. I'll drink a toast of respect to his passing :) x. With Regards and thanks.

Hi David.

Thanks for confirming the story re the panda car, can't iagine that happening today though you never know.

Yes, Derek was a mikman and how time passes. I had forgotten his scrunched up smile. Thanks for reminding me and after this I will also be raising a glass in his memory.

Regards

D.O.N.E

P.S He used to let me sit in the cars when no one was about. :D:D:D

D.O.N.e.thanks for enlivening his memory. I remember him well but I don't remember him leaving. He was based at Abbeydale Road as I was in the days before Division St and some times at Division st when my base moved in to town. His mates would have been Ken Dowker who ran Abbeydale Rd after that, with Mike Whithead Bill Ellise Bob Slater Jack and other good people.He had a good heart and was liked by all of us. Glad you got to sit in some of the cars,he would have enjoyed letting you do that.:) regards db

the reply from Coolhand sax brought back memories about the Chevy Blazer--this was an awesome beast back in the 70s---

I dont know if people realised that it was an occasion when any new cars rolled in to town and it was a night out just going window shopping--I also remember seeing the first E type---I think in Hadfields opposite the town hall

I believe about £2000---same car now will fetch £50000--good investment!