Private Parking Ticket Megathread (Part 2)

Ask the owners of the community hall, see if they know who owns those spaces.

It may be the community hall uses the spaces but does not actually own them.

I'm 99% certain they don't, as the Community Hall is on the opposite side of the road and the parking (to be fair, it's a large patch of concrete with kerbs, so parking!) is outside the shops.

The DVLA operate in Meadowhall car park quite often, I've been there a couple of times recently and seen cars clamped by them.

There's usually a massive sticker on the back window saying "NO TAX"

The one that really made me laugh was about 9ish at night on a Friday, clearly the owners had gone to the cinema or something and will come back to find their car clamped :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I fail to see why the DVLA would operate in any car park.If an untaxed vehicle is parked there it is not illegal,it is on private land and off the road,it therefore does not require tax.Surely the police should have to wait until it is driven onto the road.

I'm 99% certain they don't, as the Community Hall is on the opposite side of the road and the parking (to be fair, it's a large patch of concrete with kerbs, so parking!) is outside the shops.

The shops are probably pee'd off that people park there to use the hall.

I fail to see why the DVLA would operate in any car park.If an untaxed vehicle is parked there it is not illegal,it is on private land and off the road,it therefore does not require tax.Surely the police should have to wait until it is driven onto the road.

If your vehicle is 'off road' you have to declare that to the DVLA when you would normally buy your tax.

Aren't car parks like Meadowhall/Tesco/Asda etc classed as being "the road" for the purposes of the Road Traffic Act? I assume it's the same for VED..

Aren't car parks like Meadowhall/Tesco/Asda etc classed as being "the road" for the purposes of the Road Traffic Act? I assume it's the same for VED..

That's a good point Truman.Iknow the footpath is classed as the road but I don't know about car parks.This could be a really grey area unless there is specific legislation on the subject.I do know it is okay to park an untaxed,uninsured and untested vehicle on something like a pub car park that isn't marked out or properly surfaced, but as you say supermarkets,malls etc could be different.You've got me thinking,I'll have to look into this.

That's a good point Truman.Iknow the footpath is classed as the road but I don't know about car parks.This could be a really grey area unless there is specific legislation on the subject.I do know it is okay to park an untaxed,uninsured and untested vehicle on something like a pub car park that isn't marked out or properly surfaced, but as you say supermarkets,malls etc could be different.You've got me thinking,I'll have to look into this.

The thing is though..your car must be sorned if it isn't taxed..even if you keep it in your own garage...

The shops are probably pee'd off that people park there to use the hall.

There's a Chinese takeaway, a hairdressers, a cafe and an insurance company (I think that's what it is). There are about 10 spaces & it's rare they're all taken at various times of the day.

The DVLA probably operate on the assumption that the car drove there that day and as such was on the road without tax.

The car park has CCTV so it's doubtful it was dumped there before it's tax ran out.

Also there's the continuous enforcement law, which probably allows for this.