Private Parking Ticket Megathread (Part 2)

You can easily do away with all the letters and hassle/worry, simply by contacting Kirkbylad, on this very forum. I couldn't be asked to read up on all the new reams of waffle concerning new laws, and offset all the time/letters involved in sorting things out, and simply gave Kirkbylad the details and eighteen quid ... the matter was solved immediately with no comeback whatsoever.

As well as saving around £130.00 (from memory) not paying the 'invoice' , it was the satisfaction of knowing that these opportune parking cowboys were that much out of pocket that counted (it will have cost them money for sending the intimidating letters).

I honestly don't know Kirkbylad from Adam, but he really knows what he's doing ... money well spent! :thumbsup:

This winds me up..

What terrible advice. Giving some random 18 quid, when its documented there is only a 50% success rate of going through appeal is asking to lose your money and make the situation worse.

All the advice anyone needs is on the internet so just do a few searches, there's even a free info website called 'parking cowboys' which tells you everything you need to know...use MSE too...you've basically got one of two or three choices. Its not rocket science.

Dont listen to morons saying they know someone or worse still morons who charge you money for something which is easy to do yourself...

This winds me up..

What terrible advice. Giving some random 18 quid, when its documented there is only a 50% success rate of going through appeal is asking to lose your money and make the situation worse.

All the advice anyone needs is on the internet so just do a few searches, there's even a free info website called 'parking cowboys' which tells you everything you need to know...use MSE too...you've basically got one of two or three choices. Its not rocket science.

Dont listen to morons saying they know someone or worse still morons who charge you money for something which is easy to do yourself...

I've read up and done the searches etc.. the problem i have is that there is conflicting advice, even on the other forums.

This winds me up..

Why is it bad advice? Some people simply have neither time, energy, knowledge or desire to get letters threatening them with court action and bailiffs every week. What if you are one of the ones that does get taken to court? At that point you'd probably need legal advice which will likely cost you more than £18. Then of course you could lose the court case. Judges work on points on law not 'but it's unfair your honour'. Most people, myself included are not trained in law so while I could google it and probably get a rough defence about pre-estimate of loss etc, there's no guarantee I'd win anyway.

Also, POPLA costs the PARKING company money. They have to pay for the POPLA costs, sure someone will correct me here but I think it's £26 a go for them. So appeal through POPLA each time and use the GPEOL argument and you are directly hurting the parking companies. If enough people did this is would take them out of business. It's like using the same tactics back at them.

Earlier in the year i received a fine letter though the post from G24 stating i had overstayed at the meadowhall retail car park back last november. I along with some work colleagues had booked to see Interstellar - unfortunately it also coincided with poker face (lady gaga) concert and also the opening night of the hunger games film.

There were no spaces in centertainment ( no doubt all the poker face muppets had parked at centertainment :rant:) - so in the end i parked at the retail park. I think there was approx 10 mins to spare before the film was due to start.

Fast forward to January and i receive a parking fine letter in the post - saying i owed them £50 for being an extra 20 minutes past the 180 minute staying time.

I do remember looking for a meter to pay but couldnt find one, and saw little in the way of signage ( i was parked near toys R us - opposite the disabled bays ).

In the letter i was told i had missed the appeal stage ( i didnt even get a letter until January so either it got lost in the xmas post or they just didnt send one ) - i went back to meadowhall retail park and checked for signs.

The sign upon entry is tiny -

1 - This is EASILY missable - especially when its dark.

2 - The lettering was also faded - it would have been hard to make out any text as you were driving past

3 - There is ONE sign near where i parked - that was a disabled bay sign. There was NOTHING about parking limits, or even any signage - nearest one was at the entrance.

I wrote back to G24 straight away (signed for ) and sent them approx 12 photos showing the area i was parked and the sign at the entrance using a template i found on mse forum (deleting the sections that were not relevant to me ).

That was back at the start of Feb - I have not heard a dickie bird from them since - they can take me to court all they want. I still have a copy of the photos i took plus the letter i sent. Somehow i doubt they will want the hassle.

Edited by small_hall

I've read up and done the searches etc.. the problem i have is that there is conflicting advice, even on the other forums.

So why would some bloke off the internet do a better job (not trained in law)? what does he know that you cant find out? what happens when you get another ticket?

---------- Post added 31-03-2015 at 15:14 ----------

Why is it bad advice? Some people simply have neither time, energy, knowledge or desire to get letters threatening them with court action and bailiffs every week. What if you are one of the ones that does get taken to court? At that point you'd probably need legal advice which will likely cost you more than £18. Then of course you could lose the court case. Judges work on points on law not 'but it's unfair your honour'. Most people, myself included are not trained in law so while I could google it and probably get a rough defence about pre-estimate of loss etc, there's no guarantee I'd win anyway.

Also, POPLA costs the PARKING company money. They have to pay for the POPLA costs, sure someone will correct me here but I think it's £26 a go for them. So appeal through POPLA each time and use the GPEOL argument and you are directly hurting the parking companies. If enough people did this is would take them out of business. It's like using the same tactics back at them.

HE COULD LOSE THE COURT CASE regardless...theres a 50% success rate. Then he will owe costs + the fine. You have to pay for excels travel etc to court...what a kick in the teeth that is.

My point is its no more or less guaranteed then if you did it yourself...except you would be 18 quid lighter and no more educated than you are now.....

Even legal experts have said this is a grey area and no avenue is definite.

they are:

a) ignore it (in my opinion the best method. 47 cases out of millions went to trial in 2012)

b) appeal (50% success rate, the appeal process isnt setup for motorists)

c) pay up

---------- Post added 31-03-2015 at 15:18 ----------

Appeal via popla. Do NOT ignore it.

Its one way...a better way is to ignore it. The stats back this method up...and just from personal experience and others I know has never ended up in the court case. And if it did, theres well documented defences which work in your favour.

But of course its just advice, your choice...just dont pay some numpty to 'make it go away'!

---------- Post added 31-03-2015 at 15:20 ----------

Earlier in the year i received a fine letter though the post from G24 stating i had overstayed at the meadowhall retail car park back last november. I along with some work colleagues had booked to see Interstellar - unfortunately it also coincided with poker face (lady gaga) concert and also the opening night of the hunger games film.

There were no spaces in centertainment ( no doubt all the poker face muppets had parked at centertainment :rant:) - so in the end i parked at the retail park. I think there was approx 10 mins to spare before the film was due to start.

Fast forward to January and i receive a parking fine letter in the post - saying i owed them £50 for being an extra 20 minutes past the 180 minute staying time.

I do remember looking for a meter to pay but couldnt find one, and saw little in the way of signage ( i was parked near toys R us - opposite the disabled bays ).

In the letter i was told i had missed the appeal stage ( i didnt even get a letter until January so either it got lost in the xmas post or they just didnt send one ) - i went back to meadowhall retail park and checked for signs.

The sign upon entry is tiny -

1 - This is EASILY missable - especially when its dark.

2 - The lettering was also faded - it would have been hard to make out any text as you were driving past

3 - There is ONE sign near where i parked - that was a disabled bay sign. There was NOTHING about parking limits, or even any signage - nearest one was at the entrance.

I wrote back to G24 straight away (signed for ) and sent them approx 12 photos showing the area i was parked and the sign at the entrance using a template i found on mse forum (deleting the sections that were not relevant to me ).

That was back at the start of Feb - I have not heard a dickie bird from them since - they can take me to court all they want. I still have a copy of the photos i took plus the letter i sent. Somehow i doubt they will want the hassle.

Probably won't go to court..these PCPs are pushing for changes in the law all the time but at the moment the laws on our side.

Edited by ubermaus

This winds me up..

I've got neither the time nor inclination to trawl the internet to ensure that my actions are in accordance with the latest bits of law ... it's something that I've no interest, and as such, expertise in.

I dare say I could have got off the 'penalty notice' (possessing some kind of rudimentary intellect), but I'd much rather do something that I'm good at and pay someone else to do what they are.

Calling someone a 'moron' for providing this service is disingenuous to say the least ... a bit like calling a painter and decorator a moron for having the gall to be asked to paint someone's house when that someone could have done it him/her self.

Perhaps a little thought before casting aspersions would be an advisable manner for you to adopt?

I've got neither the time nor inclination to trawl the internet to ensure that my actions are in accordance with the latest bits of law ... it's something that I've no interest, and as such, expertise in.

I dare say I could have got off the 'penalty notice' (possessing some kind of rudimentary intellect), but I'd much rather do something that I'm good at and pay someone else to do what they are.

Calling someone a 'moron' for providing this service is disingenuous to say the least ... a bit like calling a painter and decorator a moron for having the gall to be asked to paint someone's house when that someone could have done it him/her self.

Perhaps a little thought before casting aspersions would be an advisable manner for you to adopt?

Touting for your mate work much does it?

Painters and decorators are usually qualified or have some sort of credentials...charging for something which is obviously a grey area is a scam unless you can show us verifiable results.

Plus, its not helpful to encourage people to be stupid. Everybody should gen up and not fall prey to PPCs and unfair parking charges. It takes 30 minutes to find out all you need to know for free.

There's even TEMPLATES should you wish to appeal...you dont even have to write a letter.

it took me 27 seconds to find...http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets#challenge

Touting for your mate work much does it?

Painters and decorators are usually qualified or have some sort of credentials...charging for something which is obviously a grey area is a scam unless you can show us verifiable results.

Plus, its not helpful to encourage people to be stupid. Everybody should gen up and not fall prey to PPCs and unfair parking charges. It takes 30 minutes to find out all you need to know for free.

There's even TEMPLATES should you wish to appeal...you dont even have to write a letter.

it took me 27 seconds to find...http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets#challenge

I shan't bother wasting my time with you as you've obviously got some kind of problem. Just to point out that, as I pointed out in my earlier post, I don't know Kirkbylad from Adam (neither am I a painter and decorator) ... you may have missed this fact in the same manner as I could miss some salient point when studying new laws on parking charges ... see how easily done it is? Why on Earth you think that 'EVERYBODY' should gen up on illegal parking charges is laughable ... the correct thing would be for these cowboys to be outlawed (pun there, somewhere) in the first place.

I shan't bother wasting my time with you as you've obviously got some kind of problem. Just to point out that, as I pointed out in my earlier post, I don't know Kirkbylad from Adam (neither am I a painter and decorator) ... you may have missed this fact in the same manner as I could miss some salient point when studying new laws on parking charges ... see how easily done it is? Why on Earth you think that 'EVERYBODY' should gen up on illegal parking charges is laughable ... the correct thing would be for these cowboys to be outlawed (pun there, somewhere) in the first place.

I don't know Kirkbylad from Adam

..So why are you touting his 'services'?