Private Parking Ticket Megathread (Part 2)

If you have 2 receipts from the same day with different time stamps on them from the shops adjacent to that car park then just photocopy them and send them back to the company sending you the ticket. They surely cannot object to you having two separate sessions in their car park in the same day if you're a customer of the shops.

I would just ignore the ticket to be honest. In order to fine you, the cap park has to make you reasonably aware that you're choosing to enter a contract whereby you will pay a certain fee if you leave your car there. There are lots of rules about how big their signs have to be, how many signs there are, where they're placed, how big the text on the sign is, etc. Hardly any of the parking enforcement companies adhere to these rules, so your chances are pretty good. I would just ignore it.

Wouldn't they have it on camera if you left and returned.

The cameras at some of these car parks are unreliable. Twice in the last year I went into Asda Handsworth on two separate occasions on the same day, at least 6 hours apart. I got a letter in October from one of these companies saying I had been parked there from around 9:30am to 4:50pm.

What the camera had missed was me leaving at around 9:40am to work, and a meeting where I had around 100 witnesses... I went to the Customer Services desk, with a printout showing just how much i'd spent there over recent months (from debit card bills - that was an eye opener!), and pointed out I'd been somewhere else completely most of the day, and that it's not clever to antagonise regular customers. The Assistant Manager took off a copy of the letter and quashed it.

So a few months ago, for the first time since then, I happened to pop in for a second time in a day again - and a few days later, got the same letter again from the Parking company - with photos of the car entering early and leaving late - but missing out that i'd left and come back again inbetween. So again I went in and complained about it, after the initial CS woman asked if i'd been parked there for nine hours, her boss eventually took it away to deal with - and this time, I got an apology letter from the Parking company.

So, it may be worth taking it up with Staples, if you did go in there twice. It did help though that I had been in the store - in the case of Staples, it's not unusual for people to park there and nip up the Moor...

It is a valid question though - does that 1 hour limit actually mean for the whole day, or just in one stay at Staples?

It is a valid question though - does that 1 hour limit actually mean for the whole day, or just in one stay at Staples?

It should say that on the signs, if not then when the hour's up you can drive out of the car park and enter straight back in for another hour.

It isn't a fine.

It is by any normal, everyday, meaning of the word "fine".

The actual point is that it's not a council matter and would only be pursued through the civil courts, if at all.

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 07:43 ----------

hi I have a querie regarding the carpark in staples it says your not aloud to stay in longer then 1 hour does that mean your only allowed in a hour per day are can you leave and come back after abit and get another hour???as I received a fine threw the post saying I enterd at 10 am and left at 2;30pm but I had left and gone back between them times am I screwd ???will I have to pay the fine???

---------- Post added 05-05-2015 at 16:07 ----------

sorry this is the staples in town acrss from declathlon

I've had a similar problem elsewhere, I would imagine it's quite common that people make two short visits to a retailer - I did this and received an overstay notice based on the time of my first arrival and the time of my last departure (i.e hours and hours). It's the result of not applying common sense to the camera data. What I did is write to the company pointing out I had visited for a short time on two occasions, and that if they insisted on pursuing the matter I would be requesting all the data they had on me for that day under the Data Protection Act, and also complaining to the Ombudsman about their misuse of that data.

They're obviously not going to be able to get anywhere with their charges, if you really were there for less than an hour combined. So appeal or write to them and that will sort it out.

If, on the other hand, and having re-read your post, you were actually there for longer than the allowed hour combined, then whether you exceeded the time depends on their small print about multiple visits.

Edited by Dannyno

The cameras at some of these car parks are unreliable. Twice in the last year I went into Asda Handsworth on two separate occasions on the same day, at least 6 hours apart. I got a letter in October from one of these companies saying I had been parked there from around 9:30am to 4:50pm.

This has also happened at McDonalds and KFCs on retail parks, and also at the Berkeley Precinct on Eccy Road where people have gone twice in a day and the camera has recorded it as one long visit.

Its nothing at all to do with these cameras being unrealiable - the companies will know full well you have been in and out twice and they are merely trying it on by "snipping" the second and third camera passes out of the timeline.