Private Parking Ticket Megathread (Part 2)

Can someone help and advise me please!!

Just been to flora street home bargains and got a fine!!.. The car park was chocca and saw that just as you drive in near the yellow markings are that cars were parked there and there was a space so parked there. I was gone ten minutes to have got a ticket !.. The warden said it was a restricted area even though it was not on the yellow marked part and said its because it's a restricted area where the cars were parked as there were no white lines on the floor but I actually just parked in a spot round 9 other cars?!

Barry Beavis loses Supreme Court parking battle

Barry Beavis, 47, of Chelmsford, Essex, claimed an £85 charge for breaching a two-hour limit in the town in April 2013 was "unfair and disproportionate".

The Court of Appeal dismissed Mr Beavis's claim against management company ParkingEye.

He appealed to the Supreme Court, but judges there have also reject his case. The company said its charges were "fair" and "legally enforceable".

Mr Beavis, who owns The Happy Haddock chip shop in Billericay, was charged by ParkingEye after over-staying the free parking period at Riverside Retail Park by nearly an hour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-34721126

Good news and one in the eye for the "something-for-nothing" "world revolves-around-me" smirkers. Hopefully private parking companies will now ramp up their game to give a fair crack to all car users and punish those who abuse the use of other people's private land.

Fines are supposed to be illegal in contract law, now some dopey judge has kicked that down and put it to all that you can get away with it.

I wonder how long it will be before it appears in mobile phone and other utility contracts??

Currently you do have to 'pay your way' out of fixed term ones, but now they could argue a little extra on top is to 'discourage' people.

Edited by geared

Fines are supposed to be illegal in contract law

No, because:

a. the private parking charges are not 'fines' [that word connotes criminal law penalties, rather than civil law]; and

b. the civil law penalties were never unlawful, merely susceptible to challenge.

I wonder how long it will be before it appears in mobile phone and other utility contracts?

Currently you do have to 'pay your way' out of fixed term ones, but now they could argue a little extra on top is to 'discourage' people.

No, contracts cannot be unilaterally altered. However, most impose a penalty for breach. Whyever not?