Double superlatives

What's with this all of a sudden? First it was on the trailer for some dreadful programme involving some bloke from TOWIE, where he says that arranging somebody's party was "the most proudest moment of my life". And then I come on here and Rampent's started a thread called "Does Sheffield Have The Most Ugliest People Ever?"‎

Cut it out. Now. Cos it's the most annoyingest thing ever.

Edit: Even more annoying than the fact I've posted it in the wrong section.

What's with this all of a sudden? First it was on the trailer for some dreadful programme involving some bloke from TOWIE, where he says that arranging somebody's party was "the most proudest moment of my life". And then I come on here and Rampent's started a thread called "Does Sheffield Have The Most Ugliest People Ever?"‎

Many people don't have even a basic grasp of the english language. It's annoying but extremely common, so best to just get used to it in my experience otherwise it can drive you crackers.

It does indeed highlight the declining standards in our education system.Quite clearly it should be "Mostest ugliest" and "Mostest annoyingest"

Many people don't have even a basic grasp of the english language.

Absolute rubbish! The capacity of the human brain to understand the grammar and vocabulary of the language it hears from birth and to start reproducing those elements, creatively and comprehendibly, before the age of two, is simply miraculous.

(You, however, don't have a basic grasp of capitalisation in written English! :P).

English has a problem; it is a democratic language, in which common usage of what was once seen as an error makes it the "correct" form.

For instance, in "To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive" (Robert Louis Stevenson quotation, from Virginibus Puerisque, 1881: ), the meaning of "hopefully" is not the meaning it usually has today, when it would mean "We hope that to travel is a better thing than to arrive".

Similarly, we now use " He gave the book to my sister and I" more commonly than the correct "He gave the book to my sister and me". Of course, if you clip out "my sister and" from the sentence, the "correct " form is obvious.

Stiil an' all, looks like they ain't nothin' we can do about these "errors", except time travel to the future and bring back a book published then, which will be as strange to us as our English would be to Chaucer (famous 14th century writer)

Archived