Upgrading an Automatic PSV Licence

If you are a bus driver with a 106 code attached to your PCV category, and you need to drive minibuses with manual gearbox/transmissions under a PCV licence category, you will have to take an additional D1 practical driving test.

At least that is what the web site from the link below says, maybe its out of date?

http://www.minibuswebsite.com/htm/pcv_auto.htm

I think that is because its so new. If you type pcv upgrade into google and scroll down you will find the government consultation on it (which has now closed). I have just read that all the changes they are planning will be in place by the end of March 2014, so maybe I'm being a bit premature. An employer at a coach company told me about it so I read the government paper on it via gov.uk - I think this is the right link if you're interested.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/motorcycle-lorry-and-bus-driving-licences-and-driving-test-rules

• 3 months later...

hi everyone

Re: Upgrading an Automatic PSV Licence :help:

the new EU law says;- Lorry, bus and coach drivers

From 10 April 2014, that the main changes affecting lorry, bus and coach drivers will be:

removing the need for 8-forward gear ratios for large test vehicles (category C, C+E)

allowing people who take a lorry or bus test (category C, C+E, D, D+E) in an automatic vehicle, to get a manual entitlement for those vehicles if they already have a manual entitlement for cars, lorries or buses, with or without trailers (category B, B+E, C, C+E, C1, C1+E, D, D+E, D1+E)

letting car (category B) licence holders drive large trikes above 15KW power if they are aged 21 or over

to upgrade your AUTOMATIC PSV RESTRICTED DRIVING LICENCE to a FULL category D MANUAL DRIVING LICENCE ENTITLEMENT you MUST make a request in WRITING to the DVLA asking for the change in category.

the address i was given was ;-

DVLA DCS CASEWORK DEPARTMENT D6 DVLA SWANSEA SA99 1ZZ or phone

dvla 01792 782046 they will explain what to do :D

I have just sent off to have my PSV licence upgraded.

Archived