What car to get? Alternative to a Skoda Fabia VRS

Mum bought a Mini cooper S then the day after broke her wrist. She is able to drive again but her wrist is still a massive issue and the Mini is too much like hard work. She struggles getting it into reverse, it also catches the bottom on every speed bump, it's a bit too low to the ground for her and is too much like a go-cart. (her last cooper S was 40 years ago and she has decided they are not the same!)

Looking for a different car that still quite nippy. I suggested the Fabia VRS and today she drove one and found it very easy to drive, if some what bland inside. They do a 1.4 petrol now which would be ideal but it only comes with a DSG box and she wants a manual.

Any suggestions for other cars she might like? Don't want a Fiesta RS, it needs to be 5 door, preferably nice inside and cost ideally between 4 and 6 grand. Can spend more, (and would have for the new petrol 1.4 fabia VRS if they made a manual) but no massive desire to.

I thought about a 1 series BMW, not tried one yet tho. What else is small, nippy and easy to drive.

Can I suggest that your mum investigates one of the current VWs that have the parking themselves function? It saves a huge amount on steering getting into and out of parking spaces (both parallel and perpendicular parking). I have a couple of friends who have an Up! and they really like them. I drive a Touran and find the self parking really helpful because of my gammy arm.

Tooooooo slow! Her hair drier has a bigger motor!

Seriously though, she wants a car she can drive, that is fun and a bit lively. Not sure the UP really fits the bill. The mini is quite hard for her to get into reverse, the Skoda was easy so she is not yet ready for an automatic and is happy to park herself. :)

The fiesta is pretty horrible, I can't think of a reason why it would be a better choice than the vrs. What's. Do good about Them?

The Skoda is a Group 18, but the fiesta is a group 12. But more importantly is the resale values. Skoda may well be a scrubber version of the VW, but they are pretty ugly, and not as desirable as the Zetec S.

---------- Post added 08-03-2014 at 22:54 ----------

The Skoda is a Group 18, but the fiesta is a group 12. But more importantly is the resale values. Skoda may well be a scrubber version of the VW, but they are pretty ugly, and not as desirable as the Zetec S.

Just had a look at the VRS 1.4, and they are actually group 27! That should say enough!! Seems a high number for a car that no one wants to pinch.;)

The new vrs is bloody quick for a 1.4 and great fun to drive according to the reviews. Insurance isn't an issue, ny mum is over 60 and lives in Gloucestershire so sure it would be fine. They are too new tho, 10k for the cheapest and no manual option. The older ones hold their value a lot better than a similar age fiesta. Will look at the zetec model but it's still a bloody fiesta!

The new vrs is bloody quick for a 1.4 and great fun to drive according to the reviews. Insurance isn't an issue, ny mum is over 60 and lives in Gloucestershire so sure it would be fine. They are too new tho, 10k for the cheapest and no manual option. The older ones hold their value a lot better than a similar age fiesta. Will look at the zetec model but it's still a bloody fiesta!

ha ha, yep, you are right. It is still a fiesta, but that said, a lad at work has the Zetec S diesel model, 3 door and its an 09 reg. £20 a year tax, and loads of toys, including the bluetooth system. Nicer than the base model, and it just looks better than the boxey Skoda. I appreciate Skoda do have the VW engine, but they are pretty boring cars, even for ya mam!

A friend of mine would disagree with me, as he has an older VRS.1.9 diesel, which he adores. He is a member of briskoda.com, which gives info on the cars. Each to their own I suppose, so good hunting!!

Archived