Extra question on car insurance

Insurers simply collect information and are able to tell through their many thousands of policy holders where the risk profile is depending on age, location, job, gender, type of car, value etc. It's their job to try and pick the least risky policy holders so they cna try and make a profit.

If they find sports cars owners are more risky and likely to be involved in an accident due to the type of person who buys them then they will charge a higher premium than your middle aged volvo driver. They might take account of all the other factors besides the type of car, but becayse that is one of the main components being insured, then it stands to reason you will be charged a hiher premium because its a greater risk based on its data.

You have a duty to tell the insurer of all material facts. If you know of them but do not tell then they have the right to void your policy when you make a claim if they find

Admiral did say this in the link

P + P

But it admitted: ’If a customer had been on a speed awareness course and not told us about it, we would not void their policy. Insurance is based on utmost good faith, in that we rely on our customers to provide us with accurate information so that we can price according to the risk presented

999tigger

you did not read post number 4 did you

They are faster, with quicker acceleration, so tend to be involved in more crashes. They are also possibly more likely to be defaced or stolen.

Insurers simply collect information and are able to tell through their many thousands of policy holders where the risk profile is depending on age, location, job, gender, type of car, value etc. It's their job to try and pick the least risky policy holders so they cna try and make a profit.

If they find sports cars owners are more risky and likely to be involved in an accident due to the type of person who buys them then they will charge a higher premium than your middle aged volvo driver. They might take account of all the other factors besides the type of car, but becayse that is one of the main components being insured, then it stands to reason you will be charged a hiher premium because its a greater risk based on its data.

^^^^^^^

What they said. Nothing to do with the green eyed monster.

Insurers work on risk assessments and statistics.

My generic "flashy sport car" term was referring to object which have highly powerful engines / increased top speed / a high level of interior with kit and features highly desirable to a thief over a lets say more average vehicle.

All of those things make a vehicle not only a higer risk of theft / damage but is also likely to be a higher risk of accidents. That's what the insurers will base their risks upon.

Unfortunatley insurers dont base policy premiums on individuals. Maybe they should. But, until they do, whatever your age/location/vehicle/driving history will categorise you into the nearest group appropraite. That will mean that whether you are the safest driver in the world - you will end up in the "statistical group" deemed appropriate for you.

31 in a 30 zone will get you points or an offer of an awareness course, i knew someone who got caught and was offered the speed awareness course. when he protested, they told him he could go to court and expect a big fine and the points.

the police are there to raise revenue more than to protect public safety.

earlier today on herries road, i saw a car followed by a motorbike go through the red light at a crossing. poor lad waiting to cross was too terrified to do so after that.

now THAT'S what they should be dishing penalties out for.

another reason to vote UKIP?

Sorry, what was UKIP's policies on traffic light offences and speed cameras??

I seem to have missed that one.

....actually dont bother I found the quote from mental Godfrey myself. He said "If speed killed people there would be no Formula One racing "its speed in the wrong place that kills people"

So, as locations of speed cameras are set by the highways authority and NOT the police and those locations are based on strict quotas of accident statistics - you get busted speeding by a camera. It was speeding in the wrong place wasn't it.

31 in a 30 is over the limit. Argue the toss all you want. Its speeding therefore breaking the law.

Breaking the law (even a minor thing) has consequences. In this case, potential to lose your licence and get hit by an increase in your insurance premiums.

Get over it.

All of those things make a vehicle not only a higer risk of theft / damage but is also likely to be a higher risk of accidents. That's what the insurers will base their risks upon.

Top ten: Most stolen cars

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/car-data-history-checks/advice/top-ten-most-stolen-cars/

The most stolen vehicle on Britain’s roads is not a car, but the Ford Transit van due to the huge industry in supplying cheap replacement parts to unsuspecting, genuine owner

Astra, Fiesta, Golf, Corsa are the top four.

---------- Post added 10-03-2014 at 10:33 ----------

31 in a 30 is over the limit. Argue the toss all you want. Its speeding therefore breaking the law.

Plus, when you factor in that speedos over-read and the 10% / 3mph grace on cameras you're probably looking at at least 35mph.

Sorry, what was UKIP's policies on traffic light offences and speed cameras??

I seem to have missed that one.

....actually dont bother I found the quote from mental Godfrey myself. He said "If speed killed people there would be no Formula One racing "its speed in the wrong place that kills people"

So, as locations of speed cameras are set by the highways authority and NOT the police and those locations are based on strict quotas of accident statistics - you get busted speeding by a camera. It was speeding in the wrong place wasn't it.

Breaking the law (even a minor thing) has consequences. In this case, potential to lose your licence and get hit by an increase in your insurance premiums.

Get over it.

Do you take this tone with people in real life to peoples faces? thought not. :roll:

10) Do I need to tell my insurance company that I’ve attended a Speed Awareness Course?

The following guidance comes from the National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme (NDORS), who are responsible for developing the National Speed Awareness Course.

The insurance industry is becoming increasingly interested in NDORS attendance and completion. A frequently asked question from people being offered and attending courses is whether or not an NDORS course offer and attendance should be notified to their insurers. Legal advice is that attendance on an NDORS course is not a conviction, nor should it be treated as a conviction, unlike a fixed penalty. However, as always, the detail is in the small print.

There appears to be a very inconsistent approach by the industry to NDORS, with some insurers adjusting premiums once notified and others displaying no interest whatsoever. If an insurance company has asked, on its proposal form, at the time the insurance policy is first taken out, whether a driver has attended or is about to attend an NDORS course, then an honest answer must be given. Failure to do so would render the policy void. Similarly if, having answered “no” to such a question, the driver subsequently accepts an offer of a course, it is advisable to notify the insurance company as, by asking the question at the time the policy began, the insurance company has shown that they consider the answer to be material. Conversely if the insurance company has asked no questions about a course and has limited their questions purely to accidents and convictions within specified periods, then it is difficult to see how they could later suggest that attendance at a course designed to improve driver skills represents a material change.

- See more at: http://www.sussexsaferroads.gov.uk/the-speed-awareness-course/speed-awareness-faqs.html#sthash.kGdQ0yWu.dpuf

Archived