Malaysian airlines plane missing

It is morbidly fascinating. I love Air Crash Investigation and similar programs. All the accidents are tragic but the knowledge and engineering behind the reasons for them are very interesting.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I remember seeing one, it was an excellent episode. They put it together incredibly well. The way it was portrayed at the start, they made the audience believe (well I did anyway) that the Captain was surely dead from

being sucked out the window he was held there by his feet, by 2 members of the cabin crew, while the CO-Pilot landed the plane. And yes the captain survived, even though the temperature something like minus 50 degrees. I think it was thought the extreme cold sort of kept him in kind of cryogenic state.

btw/

a pilot I was talking to in a bar told me that the cabin staff tell you to put your head between your legs so when the plane breaks up on impact your body parts stay all in one place and you are easy to identify - its got nothing to do with being safer. :shocked:

and heres me thinking it was so I could kiss my: @rse good bye

Edited by johncocker

I remember seeing one, it was an excellent episode. They put it together incredibly well. The way it was portrayed at the start, they made the audience believe (well I did anyway) that the Captain was surely dead from

being sucked out the window he was held there by his feet, by 2 members of the cabin crew, while the CO-Pilot landed the plane. And yes the captain survived, even though the temperature something like minus 50 degrees. I think it was thought the extreme cold sort of kept him in kind of cryogenic state.

btw/

a pilot I was talking to in a bar told me that the cabin staff tell you to put your head between your legs so when the plane breaks up on impact your body parts stay all in one place and you are easy to identify - its got nothing to do with being safer. :shocked:

and heres me thinking it was so I could kiss my: @rse good bye

There was a program on this on TV recently where they tested out different positions for the passenger to adapt during a crash landing.

The brace position with your head low down, near the seat in front was the safest because this is the position where your head was the most protected from flying debris, which was the thing most likely to harm you. Also, your head only had a small amount of space to travel before impacting with the seat in front.

If you think about you won't need to identified as there will be a record of who was on the plane.

There was. Oil slicks have been observed in the region where the plane lost contact, although the slicks may not be attributed to the plane itself.

But if it broke up at altitude, there would be more than oil slicks to indicate where the a/c had come down. Debris would be scattered over quite a large area.

But if it broke up at altitude, there would be more than oil slicks to indicate where the a/c had come down. Debris would be scattered over quite a large area.

Lightweight objects such as paper plastic etc could actually still be in the atmosphere, if not it could be scattered over hundreds of miles as individual tiny components. Wings and fuel tanks if still intact when hitting water, would have the same effect as hitting concrete...metal sinks, fuel floats. It's a supposition based on hypothesis rather than fact, that'll come later no doubt.

Lightweight objects such as paper plastic etc could actually still be in the atmosphere, if not it could be scattered over hundreds of miles as individual tiny components. Wings and fuel tanks if still intact when hitting water, would have the same effect as hitting concrete...metal sinks, fuel floats. It's a supposition based on hypothesis rather than fact, that'll come later no doubt.

There's a lot that would float, life jackets/clothing/seat cushions. Surely this would not just disintegrate in an explosion, and it's this kind of debris that would be visible, would it not?

There's a lot that would float, life jackets/clothing/seat cushions. Surely this would not just disintegrate in an explosion, and it's this kind of debris that would be visible, would it not?

Imagine hovering over a large desert at altitude and trying to pinpoint an ant. If the debris is all concentrated in one small area then yes the chances are far greater..that's unlikely considering the altitude of 35.000ft. It isn't impossible but the technical difficulties for air/sea rescue is immense.

The news does keep mentioning this because It suggests a possible terrorist hijack.

I hope its not a terrorist event. To think id lost loved one would be bad enough but to think they had been murdered would be quite something else.

There was a program on this on TV recently where they tested out different positions for the passenger to adapt during a crash landing.

The brace position with your head low down, near the seat in front was the safest because this is the position where your head was the most protected from flying debris, which was the thing most likely to harm you. Also, your head only had a small amount of space to travel before impacting with the seat in front.

If you think about you won't need to identified as there will be a record of who was on the plane.

yes true its probably good advice I was just being a bit sardonic ,as for being

Identified after the crash bodyparts and dna would be quite significant i think with people traveling on stolen passports.

the scary thing is how these two got passed immigration officials at kl airport , I've been a through a few times at that airport and an each time they pass your passport through a scanner in order to validate the document. also they take your photo or scan your "retina" not quite sure what it is just know you have to look into every time you go through immigration :suspect:.•

plus all british and australia Passports that are ICAO MRTD compliant contain all the personal data in a machine readable mag stripe that cannot be altered. More recently issue British passports also contain a digital facial recognition image of the passport holder's photograph which obviates the possibility of changing the passport image.

you'd think they might have been a bit supicious of a china man called Luigi Maraldi or Christian Kozel :suspect:

Edited by johncocker