Malaysian airlines plane missing

now they're saying the shut down in communications was deliberate.

ABC News aviation consultant John Nance/

quote/According to data obtained the reporting system was shut down at 1.07am (Malaysia time) and the transponder at 1.21am.

Another US official said that they may have an "indication" of where missing the missing flight may be located, and have switched focus to the Indian Ocean.

"We have an indication the plane went down in the Indian Ocean," the senior official was quoted as saying.

According to the unnamed official, there were signs the plane had flown four or five hours after it initially disappeared.

It is believed to be based on the plane "pinging" a satellite.

On modern aircraft, planes "ping" every hour in a system called Airplane Health Management.

Has to be a "terrorist" hijacking.

Pilots threatened at intervals, hence the turn, communications switched off etc, due to threats to hostages. Come the crunch the captain put the plane into an unrecoverable dive rather than have his aircraft used as a weapon. It's what i'd have done.

Has to be a "terrorist" hijacking.

Pilots threatened at intervals, hence the turn, communications switched off etc, due to threats to hostages. Come the crunch the captain put the plane into an unrecoverable dive rather than have his aircraft used as a weapon. It's what i'd have done.

Your not a pilot are you ?

I'm thinking of going away next year :hihi:

Planes have crashed into the sea before. Can't recall any seven day terrorist standoffs post hi-jacking. A catastrophic mechanical or structural failure is still by far and away the most likely - like 99.99% against 0.01% - and am being over generous to the Diego Garcia "theory".

Your quite right, the likely outcome is that it crashed in to the ocean. There's isn't some James Bond Villian on a secret island with a Boeing 772 in his possession. I wonder if the pilot managed to ditch the aircraft in the ocean a bit like US Airways 1549 did in the Hudson River but the aircraft quickly sank before any passengers could escape.

But with reports that they are now looking way out in the Indian Ocean and the transponder could have been intentionally switched off, only adds fuel to the conspirisy theory's. If it is located out in the Indian Ocean, clearly this isn't just a straight forward crash.

The last 7 days have show that the Malaysians are totally out of their depth with dealing with this incident.