Malaysian airlines plane missing

Runways are all too short.

Maybe. I've no idea whatsoever. Just going on comments like this -

"Lau Ching Jun

Yesterday 10:32 AM

+

How about the airport in Kuala Terengganu? It's certainly closer to the plane than Langkawi and I know that 747 is able to land on that airport."

andrew freelance

Yesterday 3:37 PM

+

I'm sorry- but your theory is absolute BS.-

First- 1. Smoke/fire demands a landing at the nearest available airport

2. If he headed for Langkawi- why not a closer airport- Kota Baharu or Penang.

Both would have taken a 777-200 at max manual braking.

AND IM SURE OF THAT.

Edited by megalithic
Added another example/comment.

"Lau Ching Jun

+

How about the airport in Kuala Terengganu? It's certainly closer to the plane than Langkawi and I know that 747 is able to land on that airport."

I was on the 777 to LHR-Langkawi 10 year ago. The plane was dubbed 'the most advanced computer control plane ever'

I think the 'switching off communications' is a red herring...they guessing and reporting it as fact. Plane catches fire...computer malfunction...they try to save it but...

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/flight-mh370-oil-rig-worker-mike-mckay-claims-to-spot-plane-crashing-near-vietnam.3267/

Edited by Mozilla

I think the 'switching off communications' is a red herring...they guessing and reporting it as fact. Plane catches fire...computer malfunction...they try to save it but...

How does that theory explain the ACARS system being shutdown prior to the final voice communications where the pilots stated all was fine? If it was shutdown by an unnoticed fire, numerous alerts would have appeared in the cockpit.

It would be unprecedented for an aircraft to be able to continue to fly for 5+ hours after a fire, having only knocked out the communications functions. At worst they could have flown to the Malay coast and started trying to get a signal on a mobile phone.

The flight path that was tracked by radar is also not the path of an out of control aircraft - it's been deliberately flown along that route - not the actions of a struggling crew.

---------- Post added 18-03-2014 at 02:40 ----------

How does that theory explain the ACARS system being shutdown prior to the final voice communications where the pilots stated all was fine? If it was shutdown by an unnoticed fire, numerous alerts would have appeared in the cockpit.

It would be unprecedented for an aircraft to be able to continue to fly for 5+ hours after a fire, having only knocked out the communications functions. At worst they could have flown to the Malay coast and started trying to get a signal on a mobile phone.

The flight path that was tracked by radar is also not the path of an out of control aircraft - it's been deliberately flown along that route - not the actions of a struggling crew.

heres a interesting bit of imformation from 35 year Delta pilot, Field McConnell, who states that since 1995, Boeing Uninterruptible Auto Pilots have been equipped in Boeing planes. This information was apparently not released until March of 2007, following a subsequent lawsuit by McConnell. The modification was reported to the FAA, NTSB and ALPA ( airline pilots association). According to McConnell’s documents, Boeing is said to have stated that by end of 2009 all Boeing planes would be fitted with the BUAP - making them impossible to manually hijack within the plane but susceptible to remote control by the military, according the flight veteran

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/new-autopilot-will-make-another-911-impossible-7239651.html

Edited by johncocker

If it was extremist Muslims behind the disappearance than I'm sure they would have announced it by now and made their demands.

That's a fair point. Pilot suicide also possible. Similar to the Egypt Air co-pilot suicide years ago

That's a fair point. Pilot suicide also possible. Similar to the Egypt Air co-pilot suicide years ago

nobody claimed lockerbie they're only just finding out now it could have been iran

I also watch ACI. I think I've seen them all, and Harley's comment reminds me of El-Batouti [sp], rather than Lockerbie.

I could be wrong though. I've not really read the thread. I'm waiting to hear some news. Like most people, I don't know what happened. My guesses aren't worth posting.

"Lau Ching Jun

+

andrew freelance

Yesterday 3:37 PM

+

I'm sorry- but your theory is absolute BS.-

First- 1. Smoke/fire demands a landing at the nearest available airport

2. If he headed for Langkawi- why not a closer airport- Kota Baharu or Penang.

Both would have taken a 777-200 at max manual braking.

AND IM SURE OF THAT.

OK, that was my guess, but either way, a left turn would have brought the plane nose on to the peninsula quicker than a right turn.

But looking at it's last known position, and the ping corridors (which suggest that it flew on for hours after the last tower communication) make me think it's headed for Diego Garcia.