Malaysian airlines plane missing

Listen .. I have absolutely no idea. I hope you dont think I am belittling the seriousness of this. It's a terrible thing for their families. I just find it frustrating that it was not as simple as it looks to find them..... It was slow and cumbersome. multi million pound technology?!?! Hmmm It's sad! It's almost like two tin cans with string!

I don't know wether you've spent much time in south east asia but that analgy does spring to mind

A British businessman conned governments around the world by selling them useless bomb detectors that were little more than golf ball finders, a jury heard yesterday.

IS the black box the same???

---------- Post added 10-03-2014 at 02:57 ----------

Android .... £39.00 ... might do a better job!

---------- Post added 10-03-2014 at 02:59 ----------

a man can watch TV in the worlds most remote part of the planet but we cant find a multi million pound plan????

A British businessman conned governments around the world by selling them useless bomb detectors that were little more than golf ball finders, a jury heard yesterday.

IS the black box the same???

Firstly a black box is not there to help locate an aircraft.

Android .... £39.00 ... might do a better job!

An android* mobile phone under 50m of water and 100 miles from a coast is not going to provide a location.

An ELT transmitter, as fitted to the aircraft will, but only when people get close enough to it to detect it.

* or one of many other mobile OS - "find my phone" is not an android specific feature

Listen .. I have absolutely no idea. I hope you dont think I am belittling the seriousness of this. It's a terrible thing for their families. I just find it frustrating that it was not as simple as it looks to find them..... It was slow and cumbersome. multi million pound technology?!?! Hmmm It's sad! It's almost like two tin cans with string!

So basically you want to design a piece of electrical equipment that'll work after it becomes seriously damaged and stops working. Good luck with that.

---------- Post added 10-03-2014 at 08:06 ----------

Could be wrong but I always though the black box gave off a signal so it could be easily located.

It does but the size of the black box limits the size of the signal. You have to be close to it to pick up on the signal.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

So basically you want to design a piece of electrical equipment that'll work after it becomes seriously damaged and stops working. Good luck with that.

---------- Post added 10-03-2014 at 08:06 ----------

It doesn't but the size of the black box limits the size of the signal. You have to be close to it to pick up on the signal.

Would be interesting to know the depth of water in the area the plane went missing..

As previously said, two passengers were travelling with fake passports, this raises a couple of questions:

1) 'How many people travel with fake passports or documentation?'

2) 'How do you recognise fake documentation?'

A google search for 'people travelling with fake documents', amongst other things brought this:

http://www.thebigchilli.com/1/post/2014/02/khao-sans-fake-documents-industry.html

It reminds me of Matt Damon playing Jason Bourne in the Bourne Identity series.

The Home Office have issued this document to help you spot fake ID

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/98108/false-id-guidance.pdf

Getting back on track and away from android location, it occurred to me that if the plane had five hours of fuel left, and they could turn off the tracking equipment (just watch Con Air!), then the plane could be anywhere in an area a few times the size of the UK, but in water.

Scary stuff - no idea how you'd begin to find it in such a vast area.

There was a program on this on TV recently where they tested out different positions for the passenger to adapt during a crash landing.

The brace position with your head low down, near the seat in front was the safest because this is the position where your head was the most protected from flying debris, which was the thing most likely to harm you. Also, your head only had a small amount of space to travel before impacting with the seat in front.

If you think about you won't need to identified as there will be a record of who was on the plane.

The dead DO need to be identified if only for the sake of their families