Malaysian airlines plane missing

As plausible scenarios go (for as unplausible an end position as the plane supposedly reached), I'd be leaning towards a semi-catastrophic impact or breakage of some sort, at or very near the cockpit area (meaning no time to mayday), causing sudden decompression, with the alternative plane routing and cockpit-based beacon/electronics/comms outage as by-products of the damage.

Basically, a repeat of the 2005 Helios Airways Flight 522 event.

Far more plausible (IMHO) than the aliens/Diego Garcia/suicide/<etc> scenarios.

That doesn't fit with

1. Deliberate switching off of comms

2. Deliberate change of route using established waypoints

3. Lack of emergency transmissions from cockpit

I still want to see the route calculated using the hourly pings. It flew for 8 hours approx so there should be 7, maybe 8 pings.

---------- Post added 26-03-2014 at 10:24 ----------

The magic words for the Conspiracy Theorists.

You haven't explained why it is not possible, apart from you find it hard to believe. But I'm finding it hard to understand how the plane flew seven+ hours in the wrong direction, to within 1400 miles of Antarctica when it was supposed to be flying to Peking.

That doesn't fit with

1. Deliberate switching off of comms

2. Deliberate change of route using established waypoints

3. Lack of emergency transmissions from cockpit

I still want to see the route calculated using the hourly pings. It flew for 8 hours approx so there should be 7, maybe 8 pings.

Why doesn't it?

Do we know for a fact that the switching off of comms was "deliberate"?

No, we just know for a fact that comms were unexpectedly interrupted.

Do we know for a fact that the change of route using established waypoints was "deliberate"?

No, we just know for a fact that the route was unexpectedly changed.

Anything beyond is conjecture. And, for all we know, these two instances could have resulted from coincidental electric/electronic signalling caused by damage/short-circuiting/<etc>.

The lack of emergency signalling from the cockpit only gives one certainty so far: no signalling, emergency or otherwise, was received by ATCs or others after 01:00 AM or so.

For all we know, the crew may have tried to mayday, but with all comms killed nothing went out.

For all we know, the crew may have been killed or otherwise incapacitated outright and never got the chance to mayday in the 1st place.

For all we know, the 777 was sabotaged, e.g. avionics were hacked and trojan-horsed and relevant parts/hardware interfered with, all before take-off, to do exactly all that the plane then (supposedly-) did, and there was sweet fanny adams the crew managed to do or tell about it.

Edited by L00b

Why doesn't it?

Do we know for a fact that the switching off of comms was "deliberate"?

No, we just know for a fact that comms were unexpectedly interrupted.

Do we know for a fact that the change of route using established waypoints was "deliberate"?

No, we just know for a fact that the route was unexpectedly changed.

Anything beyond is conjecture. And, for all we know, these two instances could have resulted from coincidental electric/electronic signalling caused by damage/short-circuiting/<etc>.

The lack of emergency signalling from the cockpit only gives one certainty so far: no signalling, emergency or otherwise, was received by ATCs or others after 01:00 AM or so.

For all we know, the crew may have tried to mayday, but with all comms killed nothing went out.

For all we know, the crew may have been killed or otherwise incapacitated outright and never got the chance to mayday in the 1st place.

Yes I've seen more than one pilot interviewed about this who stated that the plane was professionally flown until it flew beyond radar coverage at 2.30am. That doesn't fit with a cockpit emergency. The 777 has double and even triple redundancy on most systems anyway.

Some kind of hijack definitely looks possible.

Yes I've seen more than one pilot interviewed about this who stated that the plane was professionally flown until it flew beyond radar coverage at 2.30am. That doesn't fit with a cockpit emergency. The 777 has double and even triple redundancy on most systems anyway.

Some kind of hijack definitely looks possible.

I certainly don't profess to know better than a professional pilot...but, looking solely at a radar track and once a plane is at cruising speed and altitude, objectively, what is the difference between a (avionics-heavy) plane "professionally flown" by a pilot and a (avionics-heavy) plane "professionally flown" by a computer?

If it was a hijack, then by whom and for what purpose?

Suicide? Why fly the plane for hours on end to the ar*e end of the planet? Why not just put it into a dive? In fact, why draw the plane and the passengers in the act?

Edited by L00b

I certainly don't profess to know better than a professional pilot...but, looking solely at a radar track and once a plane is at cruising speed and altitude, objectively, what is the difference between a (avionics-heavy) plane "professionally flown" by a pilot and a (avionics-heavy) plane "professionally flown by" a computer?

Don't know answer to that. Obviously the flight computer would have needed to be reprogrammed for that to happen. The black box if it is ever recovered would show who had control, pilot or computer.

Don't think it was suicide.

Hijack? Maybe by one of the pilots. Maybe for political reasons. Who knows.

Edited by I1L2T3

If it was a hijack, then by whom and for what purpose?

A hijack which went wrong and ended up with everybody on board dead is still a distinct possibility.

Suicide? Why fly the plane for hours on end to the ar*e end of the planet?

To make it impossible to find out that one of the pilots was guilty of killing 230+ people. If it wasn't for the sat pings, which most pilots don't appear to have known about until this incident, and that are being used to extrapolate much more data than designed for, we would never find the aircraft - it could literally have been anywhere on a 1/4 of the planet.

A hijack which went wrong and ended up with everybody on board dead is still a distinct possibility.
True.

Though, if at least one of the pilots/flight crew was not complicit, you'd have expected at least some form of communication about it?

A claim by the hijackers, a beginning of a distress signal, a morse-code mayday via one of the less obvious comms links...'something odd', rather than a big fat zilch?

To make it impossible to find out that one of the pilots was guilty of killing 230+ people.
That's the obvious explanantion here (for a case of suicide) but doesn't it seem to run contrary to conventional wisdom about/traits of suicidees, who most frequently want some form of publicity and/or leave some form of explanation?

I would be very surprised, pilots take their duty of care to their passengers about as seriously as doctors take their oath to their patients.

This forum really does attract them..

I didnt say I believed the theory , just found it interesting!

IMO , the most plausible reason would be cabin decompression,rendering everyone unconscious and the plane flew until it ran out of fuel

To make it impossible to find out that one of the pilots was guilty of killing 230+ people. If it wasn't for the sat pings, which most pilots don't appear to have known about until this incident, and that are being used to extrapolate much more data than designed for, we would never find the aircraft - it could literally have been anywhere on a 1/4 of the planet.

It certainly looks possible that it was flown to as place where it would be very difficult to find it. Nearly winter in the southern hemisphere too and it looks like it came down in one of the wildest seas on the planet.

I didnt say I believed the theory , just found it interesting!

IMO , the most plausible reason would be cabin decompression,rendering everyone unconscious and the plane flew until it ran out of fuel

Would a decompression make it fly in totally the opposite direction to that which it should have been?