Is the NHS failing people with mental health problems?

This isn't a politically motivated swipe at the NHS. I believe in its founding principles.

However, I was talking to someone at work last week who went to their G.P. a while ago because they were feeling anxious and depressed after being in a long term abusive relationship. They were prescribed antidepressants and referred to IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapy).

The woman I was talking to was really disppointed by what was offered. Which was 8 hour long sessions over 8 weeks. She said that she felt inhibited in talking, and would have preferred something more unstructured, a bit like counselling.

I have read on this thread (http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1264592) that someone else was really pleased by IAPT. But I can't help feeling that the person I was talking to was short changed, and an 8 week course on how to change your thinking just doesn't cut the mustard as far as she was concerned.

If 'patient choice' is to mean something more than an empty political slogan, then surely patients should be given the choice about what's suitable for them. Especially in an area as subjective as psychiatry.

As I said, I don't want to pull any of the professionals, or the NHS down. But my feeling is that an 8 week programme just doesn't feel adequate; especially in cases like abuse, where it can take 8 weeks to build up trust in someone.

The woman I was talking to was really disppointed by what was offered. Which was 8 hour long sessions over 8 weeks. She said that she felt inhibited in talking, and would have preferred something more unstructured, a bit like counselling.

I think eight hour sessions is a good start.

Is your acquaintance aware that counselling is essentially lots of talking?

And talking for no more than hour i bet as well.

She's had antidepressants, got 8 hours worth of sessions. I guarentee there will be people with equally bad illnesses who are getting less!

If 'patient choice' is to mean something more than an empty political slogan, then surely patients should be given the choice about what's suitable for them. Especially in an area as subjective as psychiatry.

As I said, I don't want to pull any of the professionals, or the NHS down. But my feeling is that an 8 week programme just doesn't feel adequate; especially in cases like abuse, where it can take 8 weeks to build up trust in someone.

This is especially difficult to achieve in psychiatry where the very nature of some illnesses means patients are often not in a position where they can make sensible choices about their own care.

A member of my family has serious mental health problems, but the service has done a remarkably good job of taking his views into account, even with medication. He's just gone back into hospital, but had been out and coping remarkably well. Had he been ill like this twenty or thirty years ago he'd likely have spent many many months in hospital on very large doses of some pretty nasty drugs.

Yes, that's what she would have preferred. My impression was that her ex partner was a control freak, and over many years she has just been ground down,

Thankfully she is living independently, but struggling to cope. She has said that the tablets have taken the edge off her depression, but she feels that her problems are still there.

Like yourself I think that 8 1 hour sessions are a good start, but I can't help feeling a little underwhelmed by what was given.

I have read in the press that mental health services are often considered the 'cinderella'....I just don't see that what's on offer (if indeed, that is all that's on offer) will change anything.

Yes, that's what she would have preferred. My impression was that her ex partner was a control freak, and over many years she has just been ground down,

Thankfully she is living independently, but struggling to cope. She has said that the tablets have taken the edge off her depression, but she feels that her problems are still there.

Like yourself I think that 8 1 hour sessions are a good start, but I can't help feeling a little underwhelmed by what was given.

I have read in the press that mental health services are often considered the 'cinderella'....I just don't see that what's on offer (if indeed, that is all that's on offer) will change anything.

The sessions may well include homework as well - and as with any talking/thinking therapy much depends on the willingness of the individual to engage. It might be enough to set her back on track, it might lead her towards making really helpful and longstanding changes in her thinking.

I'm not sure you grasped what I was trying to highlight earlier - you relate that this person says she'd prefer counselling, but that was prefaced with the idea that she 'felt inhibited in talking' - it's a direct contradiction.

Archived