Man on death row for 25 years walks free

If you support the death penalty, what do you think about this story?

It doesn't change my opinion in the slightest, I still support the introduction of the death penalty.

Life is not always fair and sometimes bad decisions are made that cost innocent lives, but if the bigger picture is that it saves more innocent lives in the long run then I see it as a price worth paying.

Regardless of the death penalty, this guy still lost 25 years of his life due to an error, does that mean we should do away with prisons to avoid these mistakes happening?

Regards

Doom

What you are looking for is a single link that can prove my point, but it isn't available, there are thousands of pages of information and many years of life experience and it's simply not possible to impart all this knowledge to you on an internet forum, and even then you might draw a different conclusion to the one I have. Its isn't a black and white subject.

When you talk about your proposal being based upon facts but then produce this weasel like statement instead of these facts, then I think that it's clear to most what you are saying so we'll leave it there.

So lets move on. Do you have the numbers of murders who go on to murder again so we can confirm what you claim is actually true, and then look at it in a bit more detail.

It doesn't change my opinion in the slightest, I still support the introduction of the death penalty.

Life is not always fair and sometimes bad decisions are made that cost innocent lives, but if the bigger picture is that it saves more innocent lives in the long run then I see it as a price worth paying.

Regardless of the death penalty, this guy still lost 25 years of his life due to an error, does that mean we should do away with prisons to avoid these mistakes happening?

Regards

Doom

I guess you wouldn't see it as a price worth paying if it was you or one of your friends or family who was facing being wrongly executed.

When you talk about your proposal being based upon facts but then produce this weasel like statement instead of these facts, then I think that it's clear to most what you are saying so we'll leave it there.

So lets move on. Do you have the numbers of murders who go on to murder again so we can confirm what you claim is actually true, and then look at it in a bit more detail.

Despite all your rhetoric you still haven't provided a single shred of evidence to counter my claim. Do you have the numbers that prove that the death penalty will result in an increase in innocents being killed?

---------- Post added 14-03-2014 at 09:29 ----------

I guess you wouldn't see it as a price worth paying if it was you or one of your friends or family who was facing being wrongly executed.

The risk of that happening is lower than the risk of them being killed by a convicted murderer, I would also prefer death than life in prison for something I didn't do.

Despite all your rhetoric you still haven't provided a single shred of evidence to counter my claim. Do you have the numbers that prove that the death penalty will result in an increase in innocents being killed?

Come on Smithy, I'm sorry to have to repeat myself, but this simple point doesn't seem to sinking in. I wonder why?

Anyway, why do I need evidence to ask you to provide evidence to back up your proposal, so we can draw some meaningful conclusions. Maybe it would be easier for you say that you don't have any "facts" to back your claims and so we can move on.

---------- Post added 14-03-2014 at 09:29 ----------

The risk of that happening is lower than the risk of them being killed by a convicted murderer, I would also prefer death than life in prison for something I didn't do.

Let's have the stats then. Where are they?

Come on Smithy, I'm sorry to have to repeat myself, but this simple point doesn't seem to sinking in. I wonder why?

Anyway, why do I need evidence to ask you to provide evidence to back up your proposal, so we can draw some meaningful conclusions. Maybe it would be easier for you say that you don't have any "facts" to back your claims and so we can move on.

You appear incapable of understanding that its not possible to provide you with the thousands of pieces of information that may or may not change your position on this matter. You appear to have an opinion that differs from mine, so if you think I am wrong and you do appear desperate to prove that I am wrong, then I am happy to see your evidence that proves that I am wrong.

I'd agree with Ivanava, I think there's more chance of me being killed by a convicted murderer than being incorrectly given the death penalty.....I'll take those odds.

If we don't allow endless appeals, it would also save money which could be used elsewhere in society (NHS), potentially saving further lives.

Regards

Doom

Let's have the stats then. Where are they?

It doesn't work like that, there isn't a link that I can provide that you will accept, there are links for both sides of the argument. I have formed an opinion of the available information and my opinion is that killing people like Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale will not increase the number of innocent people being killed. It will however prevent them from ever killing again.

Archived