Man on death row for 25 years walks free

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26540604

What it says really, a man convicted of murder and sentenced to death has been on death row for 25 years - he has finally been released after being exonerated

How on earth can he be compensated for the years he has lost?

If you support the death penalty, what do you think about this story?

Is this the guy with size 16 feet? When a British journalist took up the case he realised the 'murderer's' feet didn't match the size 9 prints taken by forensics at the scene of the crime.

How come the police / lawyers didn't see that one I'll never know, but it doesn't give you much faith in the system does it?

Is this the guy with size 16 feet? When a British journalist took up the case he realised the 'murderer's' feet didn't match the size 9 prints taken by forensics at the scene of the crime.

How come the police / lawyers didn't see that one I'll never know, but it doesn't give you much faith in the system does it?

Not really, but according to some he should have probably been hung anyway. Found guilty by a jury and all that.... :help:

While it's a great shame he spent twenty-five years behind bars at least he's still alive.

When the death penalty was legal in the UK a person convicted of murder usually went to the gallows in a few weeks. If evidence was later found to prove him innocent it was just a little too late.

This man on the other hand needs to find himself a good lawyer and find out what he can get in the way of just compensation

Its something like half a million and a couple of hundred grand for loss of earnings. Under £1 million anyhow for 25 years.

Good old USA.

How can you support locking someone up for 30 years when it's obviously so easy to wrongly convict someone?

At least there still alive and their case is there to highlight the fact that the death penalty is a moronic, barbaric and unjustifiable!

At least there still alive and their case is there to highlight the fact that the death penalty is a moronic, barbaric and unjustifiable!

I don't think the death penalty is unjustifiable in principle but I oppose it because it is unjustifiable in practice. In practice justice systems are flawed and that means countries with a death senstence inevitably kill some innocent people... that is unjustifiable. At least a life senstence presents an opportunity to address injustice when discovered.

Not for me, an unjust punishment is an unjust punishment, regardless of the crime.

Halibut seems to think punishing a murderer is inhumane and they should get away Scott free

some people like to live in the real world, and others like to dance around in the sun picking flowers and smoking weed

Halibut seems to think punishing a murderer is inhumane and they should get away Scott free

some people like to live in the real world, and others like to dance around in the sun picking flowers and smoking weed

Halibut is putting his point across. You on the other hand are being childish. No one said anyone should get away scott free, grow up!

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 09:12 ----------

I don't think the death penalty is unjustifiable in principle but I oppose it because it is unjustifiable in practice. In practice justice systems are flawed and that means countries with a death senstence inevitably kill some innocent people... that is unjustifiable. At least a life senstence presents an opportunity to address injustice when discovered.

I can see your point. I think it's wrong to take anyone's life for any reason. Murder is murder, whether it's done as a crime or as a punishment.

In your opinion, which is probably based on the fact that you would rather be locked up for life than executed.

My opinion is different, I would rather be dead than locked up for life, so in my opinion a life of confinement is inhumane.

I would give convicted people the choice of prison or death, unless there is no depute at all in the conviction, like Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale. In there case there is no possibility that they were wrongly convicted, so an execution carried out straight after the trial would not have resulted in killing innocent people.

I'm glad that this man is free at last. Yet another good reason why the death penalty is an unjust and inhumane punishment.

depends on the crime :suspect:

No it doesn't.

erm yes it does :hihi:

Ricgem, this man, it turns out, was wrongly convicted.

Archived