Man on death row for 25 years walks free

My opinion is different, I would rather be dead than locked up for life, so in my opinion a life of confinement is inhumane.

I would give convicted people the choice of prison or death, unless there is no depute at all in the conviction, like Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale. In there case there is no possibility that they were wrongly convicted, so an execution carried out straight after the trial would not have resulted in killing innocent people.

i think it partly depends on whether you see the sentence as a punishment or a deterrent

the death penalty clearly doesn't work very well as a deterrent

if you would prefer the death penalty, then obviously life in prison would be more of a punishment

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 10:14 ----------

Halibut seems to think punishing a murderer is inhumane and they should get away Scott free

i don't know what he seems to think, but his post didn't say anything of the sort - he said that killing a murderer is inhumane - he didn't say they shouldn't be punished

i think it partly depends on whether you see the sentence as a punishment or a deterrent

the death penalty clearly doesn't work very well as a deterrent

The fact we have nearly 100,000 people in prison would suggest that prison is less of a deterrent.

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 10:27 ----------

if you would prefer the death penalty, then obviously life in prison would be more of a punishment

So obviously much more inhumane if you are innocent.

Ricgem, this man, it turns out, was wrongly convicted.

That is precisely the point. Innocent people end up inevitably getting executed.

But there is something really terrible about this latest case that many people will have missed. The friends and relatives of the person who was murdered have spent 30 years waiting for the original sentence to be carried out, 30 years of having that final act hanging over them, waiting for that call to make a choice to be present at the execution. 30 years of that only to find that the killer was never even caught.

While it's a great shame he spent twenty-five years behind bars at least he's still alive.

When the death penalty was legal in the UK a person convicted of murder usually went to the gallows in a few weeks. If evidence was later found to prove him innocent it was just a little too late.

This man on the other hand needs to find himself a good lawyer and find out what he can get in the way of just compensation

The past history of the UK death penalty isn't really relevant - I mean we could dig into what passed for justice in the Deep South around the same time if you really like but...

The main point is that since 1976 the various States have been happily executing people. I wonder how many of them were innocent....

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 10:45 ----------

Halibut seems to think punishing a murderer is inhumane and they should get away Scott free

some people like to live in the real world, and others like to dance around in the sun picking flowers and smoking weed

Please indicate where Halibut thinks they should get away scot-free then?

It's a particularly unedifying spectacle that people put up on here - Halibut says something that people disagree with and think that it's therefore reasonable to decry him as some bleeding heart liberal. It only make you look more foolish as he never said what you ascribe to him.

some people like to live in the real world, and others like to dance around in the sun picking flowers and smoking weed

So in your world there are two options. Kill the prisoner or set him free. Fortunately most of us live in the real world.

The fact we have nearly 100,000 people in prison would suggest that prison is less of a deterrent.

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 10:27 ----------

So obviously much more inhumane if you are innocent.

it is arguably so that prison is not a deterrent to many people, but i was only talking about murderers - and i'm not sure the murder rate went up significantly when the death penalty was abolished - although i'd be happy to be corrected if anyone can be bothered to search for the statistics

and i'm not sure i follow the argument that killing an innocent person is more humane than allowing them to live

it is arguably so that prison is not a deterrent to many people, but i was only talking about murderers - and i'm not sure the murder rate went up significantly when the death penalty was abolished - although i'd be happy to be corrected if anyone can be bothered to search for the statistics

and i'm not sure i follow the argument that killing an innocent person is more humane than allowing them to live

The numbers of murders did gradually rise after the death penalty was abolished here but are now at the lowest level since the 1970s.

I though that in the USA states with the death penalty actually have higher murder rates than states that don't have it.

I think that the criminals perception of the risks of getting caught is a much higher deterrent than the punishment itself.

In your opinion, which is probably based on the fact that you would rather be locked up for life than executed.

My opinion is different, I would rather be dead than locked up for life, so in my opinion a life of confinement is inhumane.

I would give convicted people the choice of prison or death, unless there is no depute at all in the conviction, like Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale. In there case there is no possibility that they were wrongly convicted, so an execution carried out straight after the trial would not have resulted in killing innocent people.

I would rather be dead than locked up for life without contact from friends, family and loved ones. I wouldn't consider it more inhumane though. It's a more fitting punishment though. I don't even see the point in the death penalty, doesn't serve a purpose as far as I'm concerned.

On your point about 100,000 people being in prison. I think you're right to a certain degree prison isn't a deterrent. Especially for those serving the odd 6month term. I think alternative punishments should be given to them, like hard community service.

Archived