BBC World Service - Miners Strikes

Whilst i agree about the lack of representation for the common man, Scargill was a lunatic, self obsessed, power hungry and deluded. Pig headed.

He lead the miners like lambs to the slaughter, and came out the other side well looked after.

We were the old man of Europe, stuck in some weird war state bubble, going nowhere. Your average man may have had a low paid job, but he lived in a hovel, Bard St like, with a crap life expectancy through snorting various poisons in his line of work, or the heating of his house.

I'm not saying Madge was an angel, but we'd have been lobbing stones from wooden rafts at the argies were it not for her.

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 01:08 ----------

Scargill's on JSA aint he ? :roll:

I agree Scargill is an odious little man. There should have been a second ballot, and his self-agrandisement at the expense of the NUM has been nothing short of a disgraceful. But don't you think the change to modern industrialisation could have been better handled? Throwing 250,000 miners on the scrap heap and then all the steelworkers as well was asking for trouble.

But then the Tories have always had utter contempt for the working man, other than to make themselves richer.

I agree Scargill is an odious little man. There should have been a second ballot, and his self-agrandisement at the expense of the NUM has been nothing short of a disgraceful. But don't you think the change to modern industrialisation could have been better handled? Throwing 250,000 miners on the scrap heap and then all the steelworkers as well was asking for trouble.

But then the Tories have always had utter contempt for the working man, other than to make themselves richer.

Transitional times, painful ones. But it was bull against wild boar, and there was only going to be one winner. The UK needed refreshing, we were all doing the Lambeth walk in flat caps whilst the rest of Europe was embracing new technologies, some just wanted to continue the war mentality and have a bloody street party everyday, or they'd walk out en mass.

I genuinely dread to think where we would be now without that necessary evil.

I genuinely dread to think where we would be now without that necessary evil.

0 contract hours/agency work/workfare and big businesses paying hardly any taxes and banks causing a recession and the people in charge not facing any comebacks:loopy: this country needed more people like bob crowe and less like thatcher and her ilk. thatcher gave this country a good shake up (which only benefited the well off/rich type) this country needs another giving something back for the working men/women of this country :roll:

0 contract hours/agency work/workfare and big businesses paying hardly any taxes and banks causing a recession and the people in charge not facing any comebacks:loopy: this country needed more people like bob crowe and less like thatcher and her ilk. thatcher gave this country a good shake up (which only benefited the well off/rich type) this country needs another giving something back for the working men/women of this country :roll:

Yes, she shook the country up and created a froth of the really well off, leaving everyone else to filter what falls from them.

But, like Bob Crow, he practiced what the right-wingers on here preach.

But, like Bob Crow, he practiced what the right-wingers on here preach.

Indeed. I'm not about to defend their lifestyles at all.

I heard a story (don't know if it's true,) of a miner's wife seeing Arthur Scargill dining in a posh expensive restaurant during the miner's strike, barging in and emptying a plateful of soup over his head.

I hope it's true. Sums up my feelings exactly

Indeed. I'm not about to defend their lifestyles at all.

I heard a story (don't know if it's true,) of a miner's wife seeing Arthur Scargill dining in a posh expensive restaurant during the miner's strike, barging in and emptying a plateful of soup over his head.

I hope it's true. Sums up my feelings exactly

Yet there are so many out there who cannot see Unions for what they really are.............. a platform for their leaders to push their own political agenda.

Yet there are so many out there who cannot see Unions for what they really are.............. a platform for their leaders to push their own political agenda.

No I disagree. The Trade Union Movement was about solidarity and someone to speak up for the working man.

As far as I'm concerned it still is, or at least the best we've got.

The Union leaders are often betrayers of these principles and should be ashamed, but no more so than politicians who also jump on the bandwagon, feather there own nests, lie through their teeth, break promises and betray their own members and voters.

Apart from a few exceptions, all are a shower of s**t as far as I'm concerned....

Power Corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Archived