Astra Zeneca is moving from Cheshire to Cambridge

NPIL still has the Pfizer plant in Morpeth, the one in Grangemouth may still be running too. Then there's the the former ICI/Astra Zeneca/Avecia/NPIL plant in Huddersfield, bits of that are still running. The Biocides side from the same site (forget who owns it now) still has a plant at Seal Sands, as do a few others.

jb

ETA: Syngenta and Arch Chemicals still running at Huddersfield. Arch Chemicals have the former Biocide Avecia business.

Covance have a large place near Huddersfield I think.

You've got Teva over by Runcorn as well.

Sanofi Aventis have a manufacturing plant in Newcastle..I assume we're just discussing pharma companies here?

They also have one in Cheshire and a logistical/packaging type site in Sheffield (Chapeltown)

I guess the news caught my eye because automatically I thought that this will affect the local economy in a big way. Their revenue is normally pretty high, and any fluctuation is really felt more often than not in the shares market. As well as the job market obviously.

Have you ever been there, the place is massive, its like being in something from The X Files :hihi:

No. I haven't. I can imagine it though. :hihi: I've worked in other pharma which also look like X file too. Sometimes it is pretty cool to feel like I am in a movie when I was working there. :hihi:

Northern universities and their 'ecosystems' (support, business interface, incubators, etc) should have got their proverbial a55 in gear years ago.

A-Z are moving closer to the hotbed of biotech R&D & IP generation which Cambridge has now become. Other big and not so big pharma will follow, as will materials science and electronics (already under way, in case you did not know).

You can blame Northern Unis' attitude to intellectual property for that, in (good) part. The stories I could tell you...

When I read your comment, I also found myself nodding in agreement with what you wrote. But then when I thought about the industry as a whole, I cannot say that this is not that predictable ?

To be honest, when I was at university, the incubation was there, and I did apply also as a female scientist to those specific companies too. So I do know what is available around those areas. But I think the lack of exposure, or maybe timing, I had to catch another wave really. It was just interesting to see that manufacturing for Pharma is also reduced. As I thought that in the UK, we still manufacture drugs too. As well as using more high tech robotic facilities to do so.

I was surprised that the industry is also moving towards an IP kind of model, which is already a case for the computing industry. ARMs is still here, with their chip design work for all sorts of gadgets. I didn't know material science was going down this way. But is this really realistic ? Cos what will really happen in the far future ? Does that mean the UK will become a node for this global supply-chain ? e.g. UK design drugs, and Singapore make the drugs. US design softwares, and Taiwan make the hardware components.

By the way, did you know that drug clinical trials are reduced and researches are made in a unique way. The next generation will be based on genomics. i.e. at the genetic level. I do not understand it all on this area, and how it will work. I get the impression that more gadgets will come out of the woodwork.

I guess the news caught my eye because automatically I thought that this will affect the local economy in a big way. Their revenue is normally pretty high, and any fluctuation is really felt more often than not in the shares market. As well as the job market obviously.

No. I haven't. I can imagine it though. :hihi: I've worked in other pharma which also look like X file too. Sometimes it is pretty cool to feel like I am in a movie when I was working there. :hihi:

When I read your comment, I also found myself nodding in agreement with what you wrote. But then when I thought about the industry as a whole, I cannot say that this is not that predictable ?

To be honest, when I was at university, the incubation was there, and I did apply also as a female scientist to those specific companies too. So I do know what is available around those areas. But I think the lack of exposure, or maybe timing, I had to catch another wave really. It was just interesting to see that manufacturing for Pharma is also reduced. As I thought that in the UK, we still manufacture drugs too. As well as using more high tech robotic facilities to do so.

I was surprised that the industry is also moving towards an IP kind of model, which is already a case for the computing industry. ARMs is still here, with their chip design work for all sorts of gadgets. I didn't know material science was going down this way. But is this really realistic ? Cos what will really happen in the far future ? Does that mean the UK will become a node for this global supply-chain ? e.g. UK design drugs, and Singapore make the drugs. US design softwares, and Taiwan make the hardware components.

By the way, did you know that drug clinical trials are reduced and researches are made in a unique way. The next generation will be based on genomics. i.e. at the genetic level. I do not understand it all on this area, and how it will work. I get the impression that more gadgets will come out of the woodwork.

A lot of the R&D and stage 1-3 clinical trial production is still done in the UK. A fair few APIs though have now made their way over to India due to manufacturing costs and reduced Reach costs. There is still a reluctance to transfer much of our drug manufacture over there due to a lack of trust in their ability to meet strict manufacturing standards.

jb

Archived