Boris Johnson's sister begs on the street to buy mince.

RJ was interviewed on the radio this week and said when she was trying to plan recipes for the poor family, she couldn't even buy the family a fresh swede, which cost £3 from the, wait for it, Farmers market!

Yes, this was shown on the programme, she was trying to buy organic, which I presume she thinks is best, but quickly realised she couldn't afford it. She ended up buying the veg from Asda I believe, and still went over budget. Cheryl Fergison resorted to nicking food from supermarket bins.

It's the responsibility of the individual to support themselves, not the state. If people have chosen either to not get themselves skills or education or to have large families they can't support then effectively they have chosen to live in poverty.

Furthermore, and this may come as a shock to AnnaB, these types of TV programmes are heavily edited to convey a message. The BBc is renowned for its left wing stance and hatred of the Conservatives so you're hardly going to get a fair and accurate representation of the facts on a programme such as this.

You're talking crap, as per usual.

Many people who need the assistance of the state HAVE got themselves skills and an education, some of whom have large families some of whom have no dependents.

The vast majority of whom do not make the choice to live in poverty.

However, there is no excuse for your level of ignorance in this day and age of libraries with newspapers, annual Social Trends publications etc.

I suggest that you skill up and arm yourself with the facts before coming on here and curling out your tiresome trolling posts.

[quote=rickiethecat;10380939}

Furthermore, and this may come as a shock to AnnaB, these types of TV programmes are heavily edited to convey a message. The BBc is renowned for its left wing stance and hatred of the Conservatives so you're hardly going to get a fair and accurate representation of the facts on a programme such as this.

Whereas the 'unemployed are all benefit fiddling, lazy Scrounging Scum'' message portrayed in the media is a picture of fairness and probity?

Yes, this was shown on the programme, she was trying to buy organic, which I presume she thinks is best, but quickly realised she couldn't afford it. She ended up buying the veg from Asda I believe, and still went over budget.

I wonder why she didn't try Aldi or Lidl or Morrisons. I always find Aldi cheaper than the main supermarkets for my fruit and veg. I even got a bunch of fairtrade bananas for 69p from Aldi yesterday.

Was done 30 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Parris#Parliamentary_career

(And then again 10 years ago.)

Parris is now a radio and television presenter and pundit.[5] As an MP he took part in a World In Action documentary during 1984 requiring him to live in Newcastle for a week on £26.80, the then state social security payment set for a single adult by the government he supported as a Conservative.[6][7] The experiment came to an embarrassing end when he ran out of money for the electricity meter. Twenty years later, in 2004, he attempted the experiment again for the documentary For the Benefit of Mr Parris, Revisited.[8][9]

It's the responsibility of the individual to support themselves, not the state. If people have chosen either to not get themselves skills or education or to have large families they can't support then effectively they have chosen to live in poverty.

Oh dear, thanks for the lesson

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 16:34 ----------

I wonder why she didn't try Aldi or Lidl or Morrisons. I always find Aldi cheaper than the main supermarkets for my fruit and veg. I even got a bunch of fairtrade bananas for 69p from Aldi yesterday.

That sounds like social cleansing. If you have to ask yourself why, maybe life isn't for you

Maybe they don't have them where she was. Maybe the closest one was a bus ride away and they didn't have the fare. Who knows?

Yes it has been done before, during the recession of the 80's when the Tories were also in power.

Nothing changes.

Part two is on tonight BBC1 9.0pm when the celebs are trying to come up with some solutions.

Maybe they don't have them where she was. Maybe the closest one was a bus ride away and they didn't have the fare. Who knows?

Yes it has been done before, during the recession of the 80's when the Tories were also in power.

Nothing changes.

Part two is on tonight BBC2 9.0pm when the celebs are trying to come up with some solutions.

It's a shame that the BBC doesn't do a series of programmes on poverty that are non stigmatising and doesn't have well known people in.

Given the widespread nature of the problem there's definitely a justification for it. I just find it really sad that the BBC feel the need to have 'celebrities' slumming it to make a programme, rather than rely on real people affected by poverty to articulate their stories.

I am a member of the Conservative party. It is the states responsibility, and has always been Tory policy, throughout the 20th century, to ensure there is a safety net below which no citizen should fall.

The financial disaster labour lead us into, is being addressed, millionaires abound, London is thronged with the very rich from all over the world. We are a rich country.

No one should be allowed to starve, no child should go without a meal. EVER.

That is genuine right wing politics, not the tommy tough tripe some of you churn out.

Archived