Proposed EU referendum 2017

Am I the only person who is fed up with it all, 3 years before we may get a say on our membership? I only wish we could have the vote sooner rather then later so that is shuts up one side or the other, in the same way the proportional representation vote ended all those discussions and the regional assemblies one before that. Agree with the Tory's or not, a vote will end this constant background noise we have in the media coming from Farage.

Far from ensuring peace in Europe, I think that a federal Europe would intimidate Russia and make conflict quite likely.

So you believe that appeasing through a position of weakness may be a better approach?

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 10:42 ----------

There wasn't a proportional representation vote, government did what they do best, promise something that they didn't deliver.

I thought that that Tories were opposed to proportional representation, whist the LibDems were in favour? So it was more of a party issue rather than a governmental issue.

Far from ensuring peace in Europe, I think that a federal Europe would intimidate Russia and make conflict quite likely.

Please explain this a little further. Do you think we have a federal Europe now? What is your idea of a federal Europe and why would Russia be intimidated? What do you mean bu conflict? War?

OP I can't say I really care whether or not they hold such a referendum, but I get your point.

There wasn't a proportional representation vote, government did what they do best, promise something that they didn't deliver.

Sorry I meant AV. The UK voted no on that and so the whole argument has evaporated for PR too.

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 11:45 ----------

OP I can't say I really care whether or not they hold such a referendum, but I get your point.

I think the rhetoric will only intensify over the coming years, being used as an election promise to differing degrees by two of the big players come 2015.

I would like it over, in or out, so we can move on.

As the economy recovers I think it will be less of an issue. Most of business do not want to leave nor do they want it sooner rather than later, especially with a recovery as that would pose a distraction/ uncertainty.

UKIP and its supporters think its important.

As the economy recovers I think it will be less of an issue. Most of business do not want to leave nor do they want it sooner rather than later, especially with a recovery as that would pose a distraction/ uncertainty.

UKIP and its supporters think its important.

To be honest, buggering up the UK's trading relationship with everyone else by leaving the EU is not the way to help the economy recover.

Archived