Proposed EU referendum 2017

I don't trust the Tories, I don't think they intend to honor their pledge.
I don't trust or distrust the Tories (anymore than the others), however I do think that they would honor their pledge if elected (this is somewhat more major a pledge than "no Uni fees" à la LibDems ;))

...and that the referendum outcome by that time (with an economy back in the black, salaries rising, <etc.> basically, much stronger feelgood factor pervading) would vindicate moderate Europhiles (stay in, on updated/upgraded bases).

There wasn't a proportional representation vote, government did what they do best, promise something that they didn't deliver.

They all make promises when they want your vote then don't deliver . Its not just the Tory government, Labour are equally as bad for doing this.

I don't trust or distrust the Tories (anymore than the others), however I do think that they would honor their pledge if elected (this is somewhat more major a pledge than "no Uni fees" à la LibDems ;))

...and that the referendum outcome by that time (with an economy back in the black, salaries rising, <etc.> basically, much stronger feelgood factor pervading) would vindicate moderate Europhiles (stay in, on updated/upgraded bases).

How would a recovered economy vindicate europhiles, being as EU membership didn't prevent financial calamity in the first place?

If the success of our economy is pinned to the EU, it must also share the burden of it's failures.

If a successful economy is a virtue of EU membership, why are so many EU states economic basket cases?

How would a recovered economy vindicate europhiles, being as EU membership didn't prevent financial calamity in the first place?
You misconstrued my post.

A recovered economy would have the electorate much less concerned about what the EU purportedly "costs" and "takes away from" them, than when most of that electorate was wondering whether there would still be a job and food on the table tomorrow.

So, less inclined to vote against the perceived 'ills' of membership upon their everyday life.

The UK's membership of the EU has had sweet FA to do with preventing or addressing the global financial calamity.

If anything, the UK's already 'special' membership (not in €zone, ongoing resistance to harmonising financial policies and legislation) has shielded it from the more calamitous effets which the €U Club Meds have had on the other EU Members.

The UK hasn't had to carry the PIIGS can (except for a bit of Ireland's, for the sake of good and orderly neighbouring relations), that will have helped speed up its own recovery (relative to e.g. Germany and France) in its own little way.

If the success of our economy is pinned to the EU, it must also share the burden of it's failures.

If a successful economy is a virtue of EU membership, why are so many EU states economic basket cases?

That sort of rethorical circular argument is a bit disingenuous from you, SevenRivers. I had you as smarter than that.

Come back to me when you want to discuss this issue seriously, rather than via red tops' populist "logic".

Archived