Pubs in Walkley these days....

Last time I went in the HADFIELD was about 1992, and it was full of new age travellers and 'after party' ravers with dogs on bits of rope in the small room, and drunk Irish and locals in the other.......but a very nice pint of Addlestones.

Has it changed???

Goldenfleece - The Hadfield isn't separated into two rooms these days, it's one huge room although it does have definite areas.

As I said, it's a bright, lively place and frankly, if I lived in the region - as opposed to just working here - I'd be happy to spend all evening in there.

It was refurbished again only last summer. There are flat screens on the walls, including behind the bar and two larger screens on which we can watch England's latest stuffing. There are three pool tables (albeit at a quid a throw), quiz machines, a cash dispenser and the gents' bog door still creeks like some strangled cat.

The food is excellent value for money and the beer is fine.

Finally, I don't work there nor am I on commission for stating my case but I just think it's a great pub which is usually busy when others are like morgues.

Haven't been in the Hadfield in a while but didn't use to do any decent beer but was clean enough etc. Agree with comments re: Beer Engine but generally the Hallamshire and Closed Shop are okay. The Cobden View is the best pub round there for me, large enough to get a good few people but retains the intimate feel, and serves decent range of beers and drinks.

That end of Walkley is much better than the South Road end, although there are one or two okay pubs on the back streets such as the Princess Royal and Heavygate.

:hihi:

hadfield is a good pub, but very full and packed with students. If your lucky then you will get cask tetleys but im not even definate on that. food is not bad and very very cheap.

Springvale is my personal choice, good beer and nice staff... few too many TVs in the place, but is the nicest pub in the area.

Closed shop is good, but small and frequently understaffed.

Hallamshire has a full size snooker table and usually a dog in the corner, don't have much in the way of exiting beer, but is quite a nice pub to drink in.

Princess Royal, (top of bates street, off springvale) is not a bad pub, sometimes deathly quiet, but serves nice drink and a fiendish monday night pub quiz.

heavygate i've not been in for a long time.

Cobden View (getting a bit far now) is the same as it always was i guess, although i'm reliably informed they either have or are getting wifi installed.... not quite sure why

• 3 years later...
As this thread is from March 2006, can anyone update me as to what the pubs in Walkley / Commonside are like these days and if it is still a popular area for students.......Thanks in advance

there are still plenty of students about in walkley although from what I read on here, I would assume the boozers have taken a rather sharp turn for the worse.

hadfield is awful.

the springvale is very expensive and has a massive sign outside searching for new tennants.

closed shop is OK, usually has a guest beer on but again quite pricy for what it is.

whats the pub on the main street through walkley called? that pub is OK actually, but only moonshine was on last time i went in.

the two pubs down towards hilsborough, the florist and the one opposite - the florist appears to be open occasionally but the one opposite, which name completely escapes me, is closed down.

You have the pubco's to thank for the expensive beer in the Closed Shop and the (closed) Springvale.

Plus there's the Hallamshire opposite the Closed Shop, a freehouse I believe and a good atmosphere. The Heavygate is a good local pub. The Walkley Cottage is reasonable.

Walkley has a lot of "local pubs". Too many really, so the ones that don't make the effort to do what their clientele want are shutting up shop.

Oh I see you mention Commonside as opposed to Walkley proper. From Commonside, walk up the road to the Cobden View on Cobden St - it's a superb local boozer with great ales. There's the Princess Royal too. Or head to the bottom of the hill for the real ale trail - people come from afar to sample the beery delights to be had down there.

As this thread is from March 2006, can anyone update me as to what the pubs in Walkley / Commonside are like these days and if it is still a popular area for students.......Thanks in advance

Please, anyone else got any views about the Commonside pubs?

Archived