Car swap, need opinions !

my partner's dad has offered to give me his car as he is getting a new one.. which is a lovely gesture...however we cant decide and quite frankly we are over thinking this over & over, so want your general opinions and wether we have missed owt.

i have right now a 2001 ford focus 1.6 zetec petrol, 112k miles (cam belts and pulleys replaced at 93k just incase as i couldnt tell from the history and new clutch).

been offered for free a citreon berlingo 2004, 2.0 diesel, with 132k on the clock, just had a new gearbox .

i know the general rule is diesel engines last longer...is that right still ?

and i know the engine will have been looked after by her dad....

insurance and tax isnt a problem at all.....

i am really at a toss of a coin at this decision.

so please offer anything for advice

Whats wrong with your current car?

Citroens aren't renowned for their reliability to be honest, so you might find yourself stuck with the usual annoying electrical and diesel problems like a gunked up EGR valve and stuff.

The 2.0 litre diesel in the Berlingo is pretty good tho, not sure about the rest of the car it's attached to.

It depends on your driving. If you're going to be just doing local driving a diesel isn't really suitable.

Same applies to the previous owner, if its just been used for pootling round local then the mileage and the fact its a diesel is immaterial, the EGR valve will be getting pretty gummed up.

It depends on your driving. If you're going to be just doing local driving a diesel isn't really suitable.

Same applies to the previous owner, if its just been used for pootling round local then the mileage and the fact its a diesel is immaterial, the EGR valve will be getting pretty gummed up.

he is often on long drives as he seems on holiday somewhere in the uk every fortnight....how big a deal cost wise to replace/clean the egr valve roughly ... as ive not had any experience with diesels .

thanks for all your input people...i know the berlingo isnt a looker so it would suit me lol....my focus is fine, its more a case of making the wise-ist reliability choice for me.

---------- Post added 14-03-2014 at 15:02 ----------

Can't stand ford focus gearbox on them are horrid

To be honest I wouldn't have either of them

If I had to choose I would deffo scrap the focus in

mine has been lovely, cant fault it at all...the focus has been really reliable , im suprised myself....as i normally have terrible luck with cars

Why can't you keep both? Or have I missed something in the thread? :huh:

Keep one tip-top for runs, occasions, <etc.> and use the other one as "the workhorse".

From the sounds of it, I'd keep the Focus (maybe SORN it for short periods of time, if you can't afford to run 2 cars - should be getting easier to do this later this year, when computerised-only tax discs start), grab the Berlingo and just run/and run/and run/ and run it until it eventually dies, or tax runs out, or <whatever>: save for the insurance and diesel you put in, it's free motoring until then.

My brother ran my (gifted-) ex-great-aunt's Mk1 Micra for just over 4 years, until November last year (car died once and for all, had never been maintained or serviced during that time), for his daily home>train station>home commute. You don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Why can't you keep both? Or have I missed something in the thread? :huh:

Keep one tip-top for runs, occasions, <etc.> and use the other one as "the workhorse".

From the sounds of it, I'd keep the Focus (maybe SORN it for short periods of time, if you can't afford to run 2 cars - should be getting easier to do this later this year, when computerised-only tax discs start), grab the Berlingo and just run/and run/and run/ and run it until it eventually dies, or tax runs out, or <whatever>: save for the insurance and diesel you put in, it's free motoring until then.

My brother ran my (gifted-) ex-great-aunt's Mk1 Micra for just over 4 years, until November last year (car died once and for all, had never been maintained or serviced during that time), for his daily home>train station>home commute. You don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

i havent got a garage or off road area to park the spare car, and its only a focus, i can soon get another of those ,

i have decided to take the berlingo and sell the focus , my theory is take it as its newer , sell the focus and use the berlingo as a workhorse, when it goes it goes. then get another focus in the future if i want one or a ferrari ?

its not very often i get offered a car for nowt, i would be daft to turn it down as its such a nice gesture from her dad :suspect:

Archived