Morrisons Profits

Sainsburys has had to go for me, at least for booze. A few weeks ago when the inflation rate was announced as 2%, they upped the price of their own wine brands from £4.50 to £4.75 , over two years worth of inflation in one go.

Upon visiting Aldi, I found a better qaulity wine at £3.95.

Point is, who the heck do they think they are, that they can put about 2 and a half years worth of inflation on a product at one go, and think they can get away with it. It may,I suppose work easily on some people,but not I.

Maybe Sainsbury's costs on the wine has increased recently?

Sainsburys has had to go for me, at least for booze. A few weeks ago when the inflation rate was announced as 2%, they upped the price of their own wine brands from £4.50 to £4.75 , over two years worth of inflation in one go.

Upon visiting Aldi, I found a better qaulity wine at £3.95.

Point is, who the heck do they think they are, that they can put about 2 and a half years worth of inflation on a product at one go, and think they can get away with it. It may,I suppose work easily on some people,but not I.

I call it the squeeze and it happens around this time of year, a month or so before the budget/new financial year. The supermarkets like to shove up their prices about a month before and then again in response to the budget.

I've always tended to think of the supermarkets in terms of a hierarchy based on price/quality:

Marks & Spencers/Waitrose

Sainsburys

Tesco/Asda/Morrisons

Lidl/Aldi

We tend to do our main shop at Morrisons in Cortonwood. It's a bit further than both Ecclesfield and Hillsborough, but it's a nicer shopping experience in terms of parking, space in the aisles and the other shoppers.

Whilst I think Asda are generally slightly cheaper on most items than Morrisons, where Morrisons get the edge for me is that they do have more half price or buy one get one free offers. I'm not particularly brand loyal, so if I'm picking a pizza up I'll get the one at half price, which will be a significant saving on what I'd pay at Asda.

I do use the other supermarkets to pick up other odds and sods from time to time:

Tesco = Best for beer offers.

Sainsburys/Waitrose/Marks and Spencers = Some good deals on Indian and Chinese ready meals from time to time.

It will be interesting to see if Morrisons do now position themselves somewhere between Asda/Tesco and Aldi/Lidl in terms of pricing.

Regards

Doom

Tesco was trying to sell old salmon at £20/kg. Market price £13/kg fresher and better.

Morrisons used to be good with salmon and had their own farms in Scotland for them. There is one morrisons I know in Sheffield that always used to be dirty, have not been there long time now.

Go and spend £100 in Morrisons then do the same at Aldi and look how much more food is in the trolley,I know which would have the most and it aint Morrisons.The new Aldi at Wood street is as good as it gets,clean and well stocked and well priced.

All well and good but Aldi does not have more than around 1 or 2 choices of particular product, nor does it offer fresh deli, fresh cooked meats, fresh fish, fresh bakery, a full range of homewares, stationery, clothing or electricals.

Budget supermarkets are a very useful addition and serve a purpose no doubt. But they are never seriously ever going to compete with the big boys until they start offering an equal service and range.

Due to their very nature and business model (i.e. minimum floor space, minimal staffing, minimal shop fittings) that is unlikely to ever happen.

I love both Aldi and Lidl but without fail I will always have to follow up my shop with a trip to Asda or Morrisons to pick up something I was not able to buy from them.

I quite like Morrisons, they are cheaper than the Co-op and their fresh meat is good. Some of their offers are

daft and you need to check the pricing for some of the multipack stuff. The 'saver' rice pudding is nice but the

'Saver' sausage and beans is truly awful (even with loads of Henderson's).

They sometimes give me a voucher £2.00 off if you spend £30.00 or more, I usually pass it on to someone with a

shopping trolley.

To be fair......

I don't read this thread as anything other than an attack on supermarkets in general. This is not about prices as such, the OP used this in the argument and was shown to be groundless.

The OP comes across, IMO as someone with extremely poor morals, calling people who shop at these places "fools" yet has clearly stated that they will them self still shop there.

This to me is nothing but a trolling thread, a poor attempt, at that.

Ot came across to me as an attack on Morrisons and Tescos becayse he singled them out, wanted them to go out of business, people to lose their jobs etc. He also supports Aldi so I don think you read the thread correctly. It was also very much about their pricing and how he has been wronged and wounded by them. He will only shop their when it suits him, so they should be immensely scared and sorry about losing such a valid customer.

Archived