Morrisons Profits

Attack me as much as you like but supermarkets have increased prices beyond the reach of many people. The fact that I will call in for a bottle of washing up liquid if the Mrs needs one and it's the first place I pass. I will not though do a full weekly shop at these establishments as they are blatantly profiteering and would have gotten away with if it wasn't for those pesky Aldi's. If your happy to keep giving money to these places fair enough. I won't be!!

Please tell me where to shop if I don't use a supermarket!

There is one village shop where I live.

A 2 litre bottle of milk is £1-49 ....compared to £1-00 in a supermarket.

I do have a town some 7 miles away with local shops, but having tramped around trying to support the independent shops it was a fruitless exercise. They just don't have the buying power of the supermarkets and that is reflected in their prices.

A fortnightly trip to Asda, also 7 miles away, is far better value for me.

I don't give a dam as to what profit they make......it's about where I get the best value!

Reading your earlier posts you seem to be having a go at large companies making a profit. Correct?

Thought so.....

Welcome to the real world.

Because Morrisons were in the news at the time and I using them as an example, I dont have a problem with Waitrose as you go in expecting prices to be higher but the products are mostly better quality and the stores tend to be placed in more affluent areas.

I've said three times I have no problems with profit just excessive profits.

Is a £100m loss excessive profit?

What do you consider excessive profit anyway?

Care to highlight where supermarkets are ripping the public off?

Do you think price fixing between major supermarkets is not ripping people off? Do you think lobbying the government to set minimum pricing for alcohol is not ripping people off? Do you think giving zero hours contracts is not ripping people off?

Question.

Can anything purchased from a supermarket be purchased elsewhere?

Answer.

Yes.

People have a choice, or are you just one of those people that don't have a mind of their own?

Tonight I have just finished the last of a sack of potatoes purchased from Morrisons THREE weeks ago for £2.00

They were as good to the last as they were from when I started them.

How is that ripping people off?

I would be very, very surprised if you got a sack of potatos anywhere for £2 these days.

You can pour scorn on what people are saying on here as much as you want but the fact is that the bigger supermarkets have increased prices dramatically (way above inflation) in the last 5yrs or so and thats reflected by the amount of people that are finding alternatives and if you can't see that then you either earn a salary high enough for it not to bother you or your seriously naive.

I don't think for one minute that it was only me that purchased the potatoes.

12.5kg for £2

Fact.

By all means find alternatives, it's your choice, no one said you had to shop at any particular place.

Yes but they were on a special offer for a limited period, £6.99 for the same bag now!!

So, you surprised then?

You just won't have it will you?

It doesn't matter what price they were or are, your saying they sell rubbish food at over inflated prices, how could a bag of spuds last three weeks if they were crap to start with?

I'm not surprised that they had a special offer on for a few weeks, no. I'm more surprised that people stand up and offer excuses for the greedy organisations.

What competition, they are all as artificially high priced as each other, don't be taken in.

But so are Waitrose prices, but, their business is booming.

Morrisons was caught on the hop (like Nokia/Blackberry/phones/technology) they didn't move with the times by opening local/smaller stores, or do online deliveries.

---------- Post added 18-03-2014 at 00:25 ----------

Aldi,s didn't though.

Aldi stock some excellent beers and wines.

---------- Post added 18-03-2014 at 00:38 ----------

Care to highlight where supermarkets are ripping the public off?

I take it you can show the total cost of a certain product against the sale price, then showing the profit margin of said product.

I guess looking at their overall annual profits says it all.

How much would you say a 4 pack of fusion razor blades cost to produce? And the profit margin made on them? I don't know myself? But, 4 bits of steel for around £7-8 quid seems a total rip-off.

You can pour scorn on what people are saying on here as much as you want but the fact is that the bigger supermarkets have increased prices dramatically (way above inflation) in the last 5yrs or so and thats reflected by the amount of people that are finding alternatives and if you can't see that then you either earn a salary high enough for it not to bother you or your seriously naive.

People always look for alternatives over time. That's why shopping streets look so different to a few years ago, and those very different to a few years before that.

New companies are finding new places in the market (like pound shops etc.) it's not necessarily because people are skint. It's good marketing, and a good time to open these types of shops because the media is doing all the advertising for them. It's also about finding people who are naive too.

I'm not surprised that they had a special offer on for a few weeks, no. I'm more surprised that people stand up and offer excuses for the greedy organisations.

I asked on the last page what you consider 'excessive profits'? What are they?

Aldi's pre-tax profits were £157m last year. Poundland £40m. Both increasing all the time. Are these more than excessive? Do you know what percentage profits companies aim for?

I also don't think 'people are standing up for greedy organisations', they are just arguing with people with an agenda who write nonsense.

But so are Waitrose prices, but, their business is booming.

Morrisons was caught on the hop (like Nokia/Blackberry/phones/technology) they didn't move with the times by opening local/smaller stores, or do online deliveries.

Aldi stock some excellent beers and wines.

I think this nails it.

-

Look at Sainsbury's opening little shops everywhere they can. Tesco have even fallen behind this I think. Too slow. Sainsbury's will probably be the new biggy (if it isn't already).

I think even Asda have not realised what Sainsbury's did.

Of course shopping habits change but for years and years people have done a supermarket "big shop", this is changing now as costs have become unmanageable, my shopping increaesed from around £70 to £120 a week in around 5yrs, which is an excessive above inflation increase, we have now stopped shopping in this manner as it stretches the household budget too much.

Archived