What is intelligence?

What is intelligence? If someone can change a lightbulb and you can't are they more intelligent than you? .. If you can fix a broken down car but cant change a babies nappy and your other half can, Who is more intelligent.... what is the definition of intelligent??? :huh:

What is intelligence? If someone can change a lightbulb and you can't are they more intelligent than you?

Knowledge is the key, not intelligence. You may be able to change an engine in a harrier but lack the skills or knowledge to hang a roll of wallpaper. Being unable to hang wallpaper doesn't define you as being unintelligent, it just means you haven't applied your intelligence to gain the knowledge of that particular skill.

What is intelligence? If someone can change a lightbulb and you can't are they more intelligent than you? .. If you can fix a broken down car but cant change a babies nappy and your other half can, Who is more intelligent.... what is the definition of intelligent??? :huh:

I'm not sure what the dictionary definition is of it, but I would say that it is the ability to successfully/positively adapt to new problems/situations that might occur [but in particular for survival] (or words to that effect).

Problem solving is often a way of 'measuring intelligence' in society, probably because it is the nearest thing to the above.

Saying that, of course, it's not necessarily the best way of measuring, because different types of problems require different types of problem solving (definite, or subjective issues, as it were). It perhaps answers why people with very high IQs often come across to the majority as being quite socially inept.

The examples you give aren't particularly good examples in the way you have written them.

e.g.

If someone can change a lightbulb and you can't, are they more intelligent than you?

They might be, but this test is completely useless really to get anything resembling good results.

and...

If you can fix a broken down car but cant change a babies nappy and your other half can, Who is more intelligent....

Same again. You are comparing different skill sets (AND different types), and with wildly ambiguous terms.

Can I fix a broken car? Well depends on what it is. I changed the headlight last week. If the engine burst into flames [for the complete other end of the scale] then I wouldn't have a clue. A technician who has spent 5 years as an apprentice mechanic might spot the problem straight away! Is he more intelligent? See above, not a good way of testing.

Changing a babies nappy isn't a prerequisite of an good primary carer. This can be proved by our own existence here and now. (or for a more up to date example, look at a documentary from a non-westernised culture, they still do fine without even having nappies, let alone knowing what one is, to know how to change it)

Intelligence is being able to come to a solution without all the facts and use what you do know to be able to bridge the deficit in knowledge.

If you know what I mean.

---------- Post added 15-03-2014 at 02:57 ----------

Knowledge is the key, not intelligence. You may be able to change an engine in a harrier but lack the skills or knowledge to hang a roll of wallpaper. Being unable to hang wallpaper doesn't define you as being unintelligent, it just means you haven't applied your intelligence to gain the knowledge of that particular skill.

I would say that knowledge and intelligence are two different things, knowledge is retained information, intelligence is adaptability.

Intelligence is being able to come to a solution without all the facts and use what you do know to be able to bridge the deficit in knowledge.

If you know what I mean.

---------- Post added 15-03-2014 at 02:57 ----------

I would say that knowledge and intelligence are two different things, knowledge is retained information, intelligence is adaptability.

They are different, but in general, I think they [with your definitions of each] have to be intertwined. In other words, intelligence measuring almost certainly has to include knowledge.

In other words, with the perfect match of compatibility with your two definitions (knowledge is retained information, intelligence is adaptability), would perhaps be a good measure of what we generally use to mean 'intelligence'.

But as the OP said what is it?

All my answers are subjective to my thoughts, so others will have different opinions. There will almost certainly never be a definitive answer to this. It's probably why the OP posted it, because it creates debate.

---------- Post added 15-03-2014 at 04:03 ----------

I know what you were saying, some of it is similar to what I was saying, but you obviously type much quicker than me :hihi:

The bold isn't necessarily right though (for many cases). Mainly because you are presupposing that the availability of the knowledge of 'hanging the wallpaper' is/was there for the person*.

*(or in other words (to the extreme), if you put 10 people who had never seen a wall or paper before, and showed them a wall and some paper, and said 'get to work'... would you grade people's wallpapering on how similar it looks to how we [in the know] see it as well done?

It's like what I think Clowning said. 'retaining information'. You can't retain information that you never had.

anyway....

Intelligence is the ability to learn, knowledge is what you have learnt.

Wouldn't you consider people who have a repeated successful ability to use (and retain) what they have learned through knowledge, to be more intelligent than someone with just the ability to learn?

---------- Post added 15-03-2014 at 05:07 ----------

It's opening cans of worms.

Can you be intelligent without knowledge?

Can you be knowl.. but not intell...

what is knowl what is intelligence... blah blah

So many circular arguments are available :):hihi:

Archived