Is the middle class splitting in two?

The middle class is splitting apart, according to a report.

On the winning side are doctors, lawyers and bankers, all of whom are able to earn £100,000+ with comparative ease.

Everyone else; architects, engineers, teachers, small business people and other graduate professions etc are going in the opposite direction with little chance of catching them up. Soon they will become the new working class, unable to afford much more than the basic standard of living, and not much better off than the people on a lower wage but supplemented by benefits.

An accurate prediction? What do you think?

The middle class is splitting apart, according to a report. On the winning side are doctors, lawyers and bankers, all of whom are able to earn £100,000+ with comparative ease. Everyone else; architects, engineers, teachers, small business people and other graduate professions etc are going in the opposite direction with little chance of catching them up. Soon they will become the new working class, unable to afford much more than the basic standard of living, and not much better off than the people on a lower wage but supplemented by benefits. An accurate prediction? What do you think?
Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Where have you got this idea that lawyers earn 100k?

Partners might but most (90%+) in Sheffield don't.

Was just thinking exactly the same thing Moosey.

Always makes me smile when I see things like that. Were on earth do people get this impression from. Its not even remotely close to reality.

Even most doctors dont get anywhere close to that until much later in their career.

For reference AnnaB - most solicitors in the real world are on around £25 - £35k mark with training contract staff on as little as around £16k-17k

There are also qualified law grads fighting for an all precioius training contract working in law firms on minimum wage.

One very large firm I know starts their paralegal staff on £12k a year. That piddly salary is advertised with a requirement of at least a 2:1 degree and applicants working towards their own funded LPC (Legal Practice Course) at a cost of an additional 8k-10k.

That is the reality.

But hey, tut tut - those greedy lawyers eh?.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Where have you got this idea that lawyers earn 100k?

Partners might but most (90%+) in Sheffield don't.

And some small businessmen earn £100k but we'll not let facts get in the way.

Go for it Anna B!!

I am a working class lad off the Manor.

A few years ago I gave up a job that paid in excess of £80 thousand.

Did that make me middle class? Now I am on a normal wage am I now working class again!

I think the lines have become blurred over the years as things aren't as cut and dried as they used to be.

Humanity is splitting into two. Doctors and lawyers will be "tall, slim, healthy, attractive, intelligent, and creative" ones whereas architects and teachers will be "dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures".

"He carried out the report for men's satellite TV channel Bravo".

That bastion of all things intellectually enlightening. :hihi:

Archived