Is the middle class splitting in two?

Is 'Chav' a race?

I understood the term Chav comes from the gypsy word 'Charva' (meaning young child)

If any other group of people were subjected to the derogotory remarks attributed to the young unemployed working class then all hell would break lose on these threads.

Often by the very people who are first to play the racist card.

Though people who like to use the term chav claim in their defence (implausibly) that 'chav' doesn't necessarily refer to one class of people, but can refer to middle and upper class people too.

Personally, I prefer "scroate". It's that r in it, makes it so much more guttural a word, and so it sounds more offensive :D

EDIT after daily mobile call from Mrs:

e.g. like the 3 hoodied and track-suited young lads I saw trying to light a wild forest fire yesterday afternoon. And whom my Mrs has just seen doing it again today, as she is now trying to put it out.

Wish they could be called "game" instead :mad:

Personally, I prefer "scroate". It's that r in it, makes it so much more guttural a word, and so it sounds more offensive :D

EDIT after daily mobile call from Mrs:

e.g. like the 3 hoodied and track-suited young lads I saw trying to light a wild forest fire yesterday afternoon. And whom my Mrs has just seen doing it again today, as she is now trying to put it out.

Wish they could be called "game" instead :mad:

How would you feel about foreign frog filth ;)

How would you feel about foreign frog filth ;)
I really don't know: is "foreign frog filth" working class, middle class, chav, racist, muslamic, hoodied, tax-evading, <parameter missing>...what? Am I supposed to mind-read? :confused:

Be a bit specific, Maz :rolleyes:

Be a bit specific, Maz :rolleyes:

I'm trying to show you can pick on the particularities of any person or group, for example being French, and be rude about it. It can be amusing for people not being targeted by the insult, but not be quite the same for the person being insulted.

As a rule of thumb, do as you would be done by. Would you like to be called a chav (or foreign French filth)? It doesn't matter whether it's racist or just plain rude, the point is it's potentially offensive.

I'm trying to show you can pick on the particularities of any person or group, for example being French, and be rude about it.
You've no need to show me anything in this respect, Maz: I've been to a better school than most where "all that" is concerned.

As a rule of thumb, do as you would be done by.
As a rule of thumb, I live by that rule.

What about domestic rosbeef filth, though?

'Chav' is not a racial identifier and cannot therefore have racist undertones. No offence was intended by it. It's an objective descriptor, as the dictionary definiton suggests, although it isn't simply about clothing or loutish behaviour, although they are a lifestyle choice for many in this group.

It is more an identifier of the new social underclass which has emerged in the UK last twenty or so years. They are characterised not by the work they do, (as one of the things which separate them from the traditional working class is that they lack a work ethic) but by their attitude to work and especially to education/training. They are not middle class since they lack educational aspiration. Once they develop it, and start aspiring to learn for its own sake, or in order to fit themselves for work,whether vocational or professional, they enter the ranks of the working or professional classes.

it is true that some university students are labelled 'Chavs' by their feloow students, but that is about clothing, on the whole.

---------- Post added 17-03-2014 at 14:31 ----------

I'm trying to show you can pick on the particularities of any person or group, for example being French, and be rude about it. It can be amusing for people not being targeted by the insult, but not be quite the same for the person being insulted.

As a rule of thumb, do as you would be done by. Would you like to be called a chav (or foreign French filth)? It doesn't matter whether it's racist or just plain rude, the point is it's potentially offensive.

So what would you like us to call this clearly identifiable social group?

The 'new, non-working underclass' best describes them, I suppose, but no doubt some people would find that offensive too.

Archived