Is the middle class splitting in two?

I think it's spelled 'scrotes', actually. From 'scrotum'? Which begs the question of whether it is offensive to use body parts as insults.

Interestingly, far more male body parts form the basis of insults in English than female ones.

Oh I don't know. I think I may be able to prove you wrong on that one :hihi:

There is no such thing as the middle class, just people who call themselves that because they consider themselves better than working class and don't want to identify with them. It's just snobbery, that's all. At the end of the day they still have to go out and work.

Ha ha … very true , a lot of people thought they became middle class when they bought their council house but that’s a different story.

When I was at school, and we see this kind of bickering, we used to think that these people fancy one another. :hihi:

---------- Post added 17-03-2014 at 14:23 ----------

To be honest, I never thought that this was out of reach of anybody. I always thought that this is applicable and open to all, in all kind of industries. Gosh, how wrong am I, eh ?

No wonder we have idiots in the upper class, as well as idiots in the lower class too. They behave the same way, but then their earnings are different. I just used to think that it is different people's personalities that differentiate them, rather than money, and "class".

Well it all depends I suppose on what you call a 'nice house.' It's certainly upwards of £500,000 and probably a heck of a lot more the nearer you get to London. Same with the car and the school fees,- local Independent to boarding at Eton. Everything's comparative - and competative,- 'nothing like going to the right school old chap.'

I also think there are many different ways to judge class, but in this particular instance it's very much about earning potential and income.

There are no 'facts' as such, merely points for discussion.

No, in the OP there are definitely things presented in a factual nature, and these are either true or they are not.

And most people are saying that they are not.

Any discussion based on those 'points' is pointless, because those points are factually incorrect.

In the original article, (sorry I can't supply links, it was a mag in the doctors waiting room,) I think the definition of middle class was more about what the middle class aspired to, compared with what different middle class professional incomes could afford.

In this instance, the middle class were said to probably aspire to a nice house in a nice area, top of the range car, private education for their children,

I'm not sure the last one there is a common middle class aspiration.

and University fees, private health care, foreign holidays every year, (possibly a second holiday home) also enough disposable income for leisure pursuits - theatre trips, restaurants, golf, etc. and a decent pension fund.

Law, medicine and banking were seen as the professions which were most likely to afford these things, whereas other professions were graded as less likely to be able to afford them.

Probably written by a hack who couldn't be bothered to actually do any research then. A few lawyers, particularly in London are very well paid. The majority are not extremely wealthy, at least not in the UK.

Maybe it was a US fluff piece that had been mildly retouched for the UK market and was thus simply wrong.

They also compared over time, looking at with how different professions had fared over the years, doctors for example rising towards the top, teachers falling lower towards the bottom.

When had Drs been lower down I wonder?

Worth discussing if it were factually accurate, I'd agree. However it seems to be based on wild speculation about earning potential.

The link doesn't work.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/datablog/interactive/2012/jun/22/how-wealthy-you-compared?guni=Graphic:in%20body%20link

This has some interest though.

It also says that 15% of households earn more than 40k. (That's households though, not individuals).

Edit - and that's net income, after tax. Which could be a gross pay of two people earning 28 (ish) or a single person earning 60ish.

According to Polly Toynbee and David Walker, (http://www.kgbanswers.com/records and statistics) only 10% of the population earn over £40k per anum.

That is because people got short changed when the salaries did not rise in accordance to the inflation. There should be maybe a government law to control this aspect or other. Rather than for this continuous mockery of standards and professional expertise to be continued.

You asked why do lawyers, doctors and so forth earn more. Have you ever thought about why they CAN earn more? That is because those industries are more regulated, and are structured in terms of pay, and also in terms of salaries. Think about how other professions are seen too. Even in my industry in IT, I should and can be earning around the 40k region, but then this is also diluted by the numerous who we call "cowboys", and it is less regulated, and subjected to market demands only. If it was more regulated, and a structure was adhered to, then the situation which you speak of is less likely to occur. Microsoft would also not have been so big either, and the world would have grown at a slower pace, and possibly less financial crisis may occur. Technologies advanced things further and exasperate situations much faster than it would have done so otherwise.

Just like that "Director of Code", who cannot even code, and is trying to learn coding which is the equivalent level of that in an A level text book. She managed to earn this Director role. Do you really think that there is fairness in the employment world ? I don't.

This

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/jan/27/how-many-pay-top-rate-of-income-tax-uk

Says that 14.7% of people (adults only I assume) pay the 40% rate of tax. Which is around the right boundary for earning 40k gross, not much above that and you start paying tax at 40% on a small amount of your earnings.

---------- Post added 17-03-2014 at 15:36 ----------

That is because people got short changed when the salaries did not rise in accordance to the inflation. There should be maybe a government law to control this aspect or other. Rather than for this continuous mockery of standards and professional expertise to be continued.

We can call this genius new idea communism.

You asked why do lawyers, doctors and so forth earn more. Have you ever thought about why they CAN earn more?

They don't though, it's a question not based on reality.

Archived