EU representatives making a fuss about Crimea

Ukraine, the EU and the US need to get realistic now and accept that Ukraine has now lost the Crimea to Russia. The referendum may have come about illegitimately but the people of Crimea have spoken.

This situation is largely the EU's fault, trying to entice Ukraine towards it away from Russia; Russia was never going to stand by and allow the EU to acquire the Crimea.

It sort of reminds me of the old Soviet elections where there was 150% turnout and the Communists were re-elected by twice as many votes as there were people in the country, and a few hundred thousand who ticked the wrong box got a free holiday in Siberia for a decade or two.

---------- Post added 17-03-2014 at 12:57 ----------

I suppose it depends what you mean by originally. If you ignore the fact that non muslims had lived there for several millennia before the muslims invaded then it was muslim.

Right, so the muslims invaded and took it over before the russians then did the same to them?

Who were the original indigenous people?

Probably some nomadic tribes or something.

Pretty much everywhere has been invaded and colonised by someone else at some point, if you go back far enough then no-one lived there so who really has the 'original claim' to the land.

Wikipedia says:

Taurica was the name of Crimea in antiquity.

The earliest inhabitants of whom we have any authentic traces were the Cimmerians, who were expelled by the Scythians during the 7th century BC. The inland regions were then inhabited by Scythians and the mountainous south coast by the remaining Cimmerians, who became known as the Tauri.

So there is only evidence dating back to the time of the ancient Greeks, nothing earlier has been found yet.

Right, so the muslims invaded and took it over before the russians then did the same to them?

Who were the original indigenous people?

According to Wiki:

There is a long list of invaders into the Crimea that include: Scythians, Sarmatians, Goths, the Huns , the Bulgars , the Khazars, the state of Kievan Rus', the Byzantine Empire, the Kipchaks (Kumans), and the Mongols. In the 13th century, the Republic of Genoa seized the settlements that their rivals, the Venetians set up.

I think that the Crimean Tatars are Muslim and again according to Wiki, they settled rather than invaded the Crimea in the middle ages.

good luck with that then

So where would you draw the line? The Czech Republic, Poland or Finland. The longer we wait, the more likely this will blow over into armed conflict, unless you believe that appeasement is a good way to deal situations like this.

So where would you draw the line? The Czech Republic, Poland or Finland. The longer we wait, the more likely this will blow over into armed conflict, unless you believe that appeasement is a good way to deal situations like this.

rubbish! Putin is no fool, czech rep, poland etc?? i dont think so why would he?

as for appeasement more like "stay out of Russia,s business"

rubbish! Putin is no fool, czech rep, poland etc?? i dont think so why would he?

as for appeasement more like "stay out of Russia,s business"

I bet the Baltic countries are feeling nervous, would you appease Russia if they fancied taking them bake under their fold? Where would you draw the line?

Archived