Should a couple on £300k be eligible for Govt. subsidised childcare?

That isn't a problem with the system it is just economics. If you earn minimum wage and have to pay people the same minimum wage to look after your kids then it doesn't work out financially.

Is child care 1 to 1 now?

---------- Post added 19-03-2014 at 11:51 ----------

Is anyone actually going to save any cash with this...won't the nurseries/playschools just put their prices up because they know that people will have more money to pay with?

It's unlikely that they will all do that. The free market should take care of it.

Idealistically if you're in work, even on minimum wage, you should be able to afford kids. Yet we have a system where childcare can easily cost more a day than is earned on minimum wage.

jb

It costs an average of £55,000 to raise a child to the school age of 5 so if you want a child you should save up. if i want a nice holiday i save up over a few years.

Why should the government help people who make that choice?

Is child care 1 to 1 now?

---------- Post added 19-03-2014 at 11:51 ----------

It's unlikely that they will all do that. The free market should take care of it.

Like it does with rents that are paid through HB? Just asking...

It costs an average of £55,000 to raise a child to the school age of 5 so if you want a child you should save up. if i want a nice holiday i save up over a few years.

Why should the government help people who make that choice?

Tosh. In your world maybe. In the world I'd rather live in all you would need to be able to afford to have kids is a job.

jb

kids plural? As many as you like?

---------- Post added 19-03-2014 at 11:59 ----------

Like it does with rents that are paid through HB? Just asking...

I don't think the scenarios are at all similar.

If all the nurseries put up prices, then since there is practically no barrier to entry, new nurseries will open with lower prices and steal the business.

kids plural? As many as you like?

---------- Post added 19-03-2014 at 11:59 ----------

I don't think the scenarios are at all similar.

If all the nurseries put up prices, then since there is practically no barrier to entry, new nurseries will open with lower prices and steal the business.

Where are the cheap nurseries at the moment? If there were any there would be no need for this subsidy... are you saying that with more money sloshing around that cheaper nurseries would open?

They are at the market rate at the moment. There's no potential profit in going any cheaper and so no new players enter the market.

If as you suggest, with 'extra money' available prices were put up by existing nurseries, there's then scope for new nurseries to open at lower (the old) price, and still make a profit.

Archived