National teachers' strike set for 26 March

If we don't give teachers the salaries, conditions and pensions that the job merits, the profession will continue to lose excellent professionals, and standards will continue to fall.

And yet every year they tell us that pass rates are the highest ever.

Maybe the tougher pension package may led to teaching struggling to attract better teachers? Also, performance related pay may lead to many teachers choosing not to work in the more challenging schools.

Not necessarily. I know many teachers who love a challenge and would relish working in a poorly performing school to turn it round. And the pay perks are a bonus, especially for the SLT.

As for pensions, this is an issue in the public sector that's been going on for years. Other workers have had to suck it up, I don't understand why the teaching unions won't let it go.

Not necessarily. I know many teachers who love a challenge and would relish working in a poorly performing school to turn it round. And the pay perks are a bonus, especially for the SLT.

Lets see if they are as interested if they start loosing pay because their pupils haven't achieved the same grades as the pupils from the not so challenging schools.

As for pensions, this is an issue in the public sector that's been going on for years. Other workers have had to suck it up, I don't understand why the teaching unions won't let it go.

I'd thought lots of the other public sector workers have also called strikes because of the changing pension conditions.

Teachers need a degree and a postgaduate qualification (taking 4 years). I do not have the stats but would say that having a degree and a postgraduate certificate would put you in the top 10% of educated people in the UK. They then go into a role that at the outset pays less than the national average salary. This over the years increases to just above average due to the increment system that recognises experience (these are to go as part of Mr Gove's changes/erosion of terms).

The difficulty is if you erode pay and conditions to a point that teachers get paid less than the average salary they will go and do something different that requires less work and get paid more. The good teachers will leave the profession and work in industry and get paid twice as much as they were previously. The quality of teaching will fall and people will complain that teachers are not of the same quality they were years ago. Do we want better teachers or worse?

Teachers don't care about anyone else but themselves. It's us that pay their salaries through our taxes. Any pay rise they get comes directly out of our pockets. They already are paid far more than average, get holidays beyond the wildest dreams of anyone in the private sector, and their pensions are incredible. Why do they expect people who are far more worse off than then to be sympathetic to their cause?

You just don't have a clue ,on how the education system works.

The difficulty is if you erode pay and conditions to a point that teachers get paid less than the average salary they will go and do something different that requires less work and get paid more. The good teachers will leave the profession and work in industry and get paid twice as much as they were previously. The quality of teaching will fall and people will complain that teachers are not of the same quality they were years ago. Do we want better teachers or worse?

:wave: (obviously my opinion :P )- that's what I did, I earn far more now with far less stress and far less hours, but who needs Maths teachers anyway.

Kudos to the teachers who stick it out though #respect

Archived