National teachers' strike set for 26 March

i work part time in a "challenging" school and i am glad i am not a teacher. they get bucket loads of abuse (both physical and verbal) and their lessons are appraised about once a month and often a huge amount of time is spent just trying to get control of the class let alone improve the grades so they get a better wage.

just recently we "lost" a fantastic teacher. she could take on even the most difficult class and win them over. but she has just burnt out. she got the chance of a relatively easy job in a non-challenging school where the pupils want to learn. she will get better money for a lot less stress. i don't blame her for going

The good teachers will leave the profession and work in industry and get paid twice as much as they were previously. The quality of teaching will fall and people will complain that teachers are not of the same quality they were years ago. Do we want better teachers or worse?

Teachers threaten to leave the profession all the time. They don't do it though. Maybe go to another school but that's it.

Teachers threaten to leave the profession all the time. They don't do it though. Maybe go to another school but that's it.

Yep,my SiL was a teacher/deputy head all her working life..moaned about it all the time but obviously thought she was onto a good thing...

Just like the gobs on here do if it looks like Labour are going to win an election, so why level teachers at anyone?

If we don't give teachers the salaries, conditions and pensions that the job merits, the profession will continue to lose excellent professionals, and standards will continue to fall.
That applies to any industry you care to name. Even the banking one :twisted:

British teachers aren't paid any worse than, nor do they seem to have it generally worse than, other teachers in comparable economies.

See this comprehensive Guardian piece (2012 article, 2010 dataset).

Those I know personally (family, friends, acquaintances) do seem to have a rather high opinion of themselves, that said :hihi:

A couple of them deservedly (daughter's maths teacher and sister-in-law, both extremely good, both a vocational choice and you can tell); the numerous others far, far less so (including a head and a deputy head - how they got to where they are, I just can't fathom...Peter's principle is obviously borked in the civil service :rolleyes:).

In agreement with Resident, all that said. As parents are now fined for a child absence during term without any choice or say in the matter (the discretion of school heads for such fines to be issued has been removed), in equity taxpaying parents should be entitled to a tax rebate (or 1 get out of jail free for a day card :D) for that day's strike.

Otherwise, taxpaying parents are effectively still paying their striking 'employees' for that day's strike, and surely that is wrong in equity.

Yep,my SiL was a teacher/deputy head all her working life..moaned about it all the time but obviously thought she was onto a good thing...

Based on a survey of 1!

Stats show that teachers are leaving the profession. If you were in the top 10% of educated people in the UK would you be happy earning less than the average UK salary?

There are good things about being a teacher, many are drawn to teaching because they want to work with and help children, and will do that work for less money than they could get in a different career. However when more is continually expected for less benefit, there comes a time when it becomes unsustainable and you go and do something else. It is not only retaining talented teachers that is a problem, it is attracting them to the profession that is also becoming an issue.

Based on a survey of 1!

Stats show that teachers are leaving the profession. If you were in the top 10% of educated people in the UK would you be happy earning less than the average UK salary?

There are good things about being a teacher, many are drawn to teaching because they want to work with and help children, and will do that work for less money than they could get in a different career. However when more is continually expected for less benefit, there comes a time when it becomes unsustainable and you go and do something else. It is not only retaining talented teachers that is a problem, it is attracting them to the profession that is also becoming an issue.

What makes them the top 10% of educated people? Whatever that means..

Archived