National teachers' strike set for 26 March

If anyone fancies teaching there are 21 science teaching jobs within a 10 mile radius of the centre of Sheffield alone this week advertised here: http://www.tesjobs.co.uk

Seems like we are going back to how it was 10 years ago when there was a national shortage of Maths and Science teachers. That's not including the 'challenging' schools that no longer bother advertising via the tes but advertise through agencies so the fact that they cannot recruit teachers is hidden from the general public view.

You have to remember this will get worse as the economy recovers as well (assuming it does of course !). In lean times, public sector jobs always do well as they are pretty much recession proof. Come the good times, the workers with any nounce are off earning far more in the private sector.

Really? I left the profession in September due to pay and conditions after 30 years service even though my lesson observations were mainly outstanding with the occasional good. Colleagues, my HOD and HT said I am an outstanding teacher but with the continual erosion of teachers pay and conditions it's just not worth it anymore.

So what do you do now, and is it any better?

In lean times, public sector jobs always do well as they are pretty much recession proof.

I think there are literally hundreds of people in this area alone who can testify to the fact that this is wrong.

By recession proof you mean the workers are sacked and put on the dole and generally get kicked around?

---------- Post added 25-03-2014 at 07:30 ----------

Not those who work in the private sector.

But the tax and NI paid by those in the public sector simply amounts to recycling tax revenue.

That's just basic logic, nothing partisan about it, or to be biased about.

So how do you feel about recycled tax revenue used to subsidise private businesses?

So how do you feel about recycled tax revenue used to subsidise private businesses?
That's a bit cryptic, Mecky.

Can you expand on your question, please? And give an example? (genuine request, I want to be sure I understand it, before replying)

My son is spending 4 out of 5 lessons tomorrow sitting in the school hall with senior leadership. It isn't a good use of his time, and feels like a punishment to me. I suspect that I would be unlikely to get authorisation to take him out of school to do something more useful with his time.

My other son has the day off tomorrow. Friends who work for the University, and NHS are having to take unpaid leave to care for their children as they are not allowed to take holiday to cover strike action. I find the whole thing a bit daft. The kids aren't benefitting, their parents aren't and the teachers won't be anymore popular. My husband is self employed, doesn't get holiday pay, and all parental leave is unpaid. He often works very long hours, comes home, and does paperwork all evening too. He doesn't have sick pay, a rolling contract of employment and his work is inspected annually. If a customer doesn't like his work it causes real problems, as they pay his wages. The rest of the country are either fighting to get jobs, or quite often doing two or three jobs rolled into one for the same money. Wake up!

Teachers don't care about anyone else but themselves. It's us that pay their salaries through our taxes. Any pay rise they get comes directly out of our pockets. They already are paid far more than average, get holidays beyond the wildest dreams of anyone in the private sector, and their pensions are incredible. Why do they expect people who are far more worse off than then to be sympathetic to their cause?

If teachers didn't care about anyone but themselves then why do we spend hours before and after school hours planning to make sure that children get the best education. If we didn't care we would turn up 5 minutes before the bell in a morning and go home at 3:30. Even when we go home we're marking or planning. As for the holidays, you'll probably find that most teachers work through them. We don't get paid for the extra hours we give up with our families to spend working every evening. If anyone will have children with such a small minded person, I bet you'll be thankful to the hard work their teachers put in.

If it's such an easy job with great holidays try it.

If teachers didn't care about anyone but themselves then why do we spend hours before and after school hours planning to make sure that children get the best education. If we didn't care we would turn up 5 minutes before the bell in a morning and go home at 3:30. Even when we go home we're marking or planning. As for the holidays, you'll probably find that most teachers work through them. We don't get paid for the extra hours we give up with our families to spend working every evening. If anyone will have children with such a small minded person, I bet you'll be thankful to the hard work their teachers put in.

If it's such an easy job with great holidays try it.

Hear, Hear.................. well said, totally agree. :thumbsup:

My son is spending 4 out of 5 lessons tomorrow sitting in the school hall with senior leadership. It isn't a good use of his time, and feels like a punishment to me. I suspect that I would be unlikely to get authorisation to take him out of school to do something more useful with his time.

My other son has the day off tomorrow. Friends who work for the University, and NHS are having to take unpaid leave to care for their children as they are not allowed to take holiday to cover strike action. I find the whole thing a bit daft. The kids aren't benefitting, their parents aren't and the teachers won't be anymore popular. My husband is self employed, doesn't get holiday pay, and all parental leave is unpaid. He often works very long hours, comes home, and does paperwork all evening too. He doesn't have sick pay, a rolling contract of employment and his work is inspected annually. If a customer doesn't like his work it causes real problems, as they pay his wages. The rest of the country are either fighting to get jobs, or quite often doing two or three jobs rolled into one for the same money. Wake up!

The hours many teachers put in a week, is like doing 2 or 3 jobs.

The hours many teachers put in a week, is like doing 2 or 3 jobs.

No Mr Bloom, it isn't. Many people work very long days and don't have the protected status of teachers, or the access to holiday time that they do. I have the greatest respect for what they do, but I just feel that this is not the time to be rubbing my nose in their year on year salary increase and job guarantee. Things are still tough, the public sector is so squeezed, and this industrial action is insensitive.

Archived