National teachers' strike set for 26 March

No Mr Bloom, it isn't. Many people work very long days and don't have the protected status of teachers, or the access to holiday time that they do. I have the greatest respect for what they do, but I just feel that this is not the time to be rubbing my nose in their year on year salary increase and job guarantee. Things are still tough, the public sector is so squeezed, and this industrial action is insensitive.

You will have to explain that year on year salary rise.

My take home pay is now lower than it was in 2010.

That is one of the reasons why I will be striking tomorrow.

In lean times, public sector jobs always do well as they are pretty much recession proof.

I think there are literally hundreds of people in this area alone who can testify to the fact that this is wrong.

OK, I'll quantify that - maybe public sector professions/vocations ? Teaching, police, paramedics, nursing, etc all attract people when times are hard as we will always need teachers, police, paramedics, nursing, etc so they are pretty much recession proof, big incentive.

When times are better, the private sector beckons to a lot of talented people so we will see less talented teachers. Hope that makes more sense.

Good luck to the teachers tomorrow :) - nice to see people standing up for their working conditions rather than rolling over and racing to the bottom.

No Mr Bloom, it isn't. Many people work very long days and don't have the protected status of teachers, or the access to holiday time that they do. I have the greatest respect for what they do, but I just feel that this is not the time to be rubbing my nose in their year on year salary increase and job guarantee. Things are still tough, the public sector is so squeezed, and this industrial action is insensitive.

You can't tell me that it isn't because I know first-hand that it is.

That's why I have to doubt that you have the greatest respect for what they do because if you did then you would not complain from a position of ignorance of the job.

I think that they should ban all unions and give them all a 25% pay cut, then with the money saved give a bonus to the politicians and even the royals.

While we're at it why not throw Wayne and his mates a few quid, these people are serious role models along with Sheryl and Simon, and vitally important to the young people of this country.

Why not cut nurses and carers' wages as well, they're overpaid and underworked, like teachers!

On strike at 48 hours notice? Thanks teachers.

Ooh 60 hours a week? Small pension? What a crock! I trained for years. I take peoples health in my hand everytime i go to work, i worked 78 hours a week and i get no pension and will die at work as i cant ever afford to retire. Try catering for a week and tell mee your job is so bad. Maybe you could mull over it in your next 2 week holiday! Jokers! If ya dont like your job get another and let my kids get an education while i cant take my children on holiday out of term bit you can all strike!!!!! Ya like the banks... f o s

On strike at 48 hours notice? Thanks teachers.

<snip>

I'm not sure when the official notification went to the schools from the NUT however as this thread is 8 days old, that would suggest at least 192 hours of notice has been given as a bare minimum.

Archived