Anyone owned a "microcar"?

Are they suitable for a grown man to drive? What is the legroom like. Are they just 2 seats or is there a small rear seat?

I've had kei kars, are you talking about the twin cylinder diesels?

Are they suitable for a grown man to drive? What is the legroom like. Are they just 2 seats or is there a small rear seat?

Depends. The smart cars are only 2 seats. Small boot space but great economy and ok for city driving. Not cheap though.

Depends. The smart cars are only 2 seats. Small boot space but great economy and ok for city driving. Not cheap though.

I'm currently driving a smart fortwo brabus, really enjoying it! 55mpg when driven steady.

It all depends how you define "micro car". I do instantly think of the Smart car or the old bubble-type cars, but some people might be talking about the small cars like the Aygo or Citroen C1.

If its the latter then they're only marginally larger than the original Mini, but with lots more space.

They have a hole in the floor for your legs so you can peddle them. :)

---------- Post added 19-03-2014 at 12:19 ----------

I'm for making all cars under 1000cc unless for business or emergency vehicles.

You will soon get electric invested in once the Bankers/directors and money men want their fast cars.

Whats the point in making anything with such a small engine ? I have a sit on Lawnmower with more power than that .

They have a hole in the floor for your legs so you can peddle them. :)

---------- Post added 19-03-2014 at 12:19 ----------

Whats the point in making anything with such a small engine ? I have a sit on Lawnmower with more power than that .

No you haven't.

Technology is making smaller engines more powerful and more economical. I'm not sure I'd make it law as I think it will make car manufacturers stop developing better engines but surely it's something to aim for? You can argue the toss about climate change but oil is running out - getting people into more economic vehicles is a good thing.

It all depends how you define "micro car".

I had a 800cc Dawoo Matiz, perfectly ok to drive for the average person. Not that good on the CO2, so still road tax to pay.

I will be watching this thread i it is about cheap cars to run. I only drive 3-4,000 miles, so the costs of tax and insurance is quite important.

problem with the under 1000cc cars is that they're good round town, trips to work, shops etc, but tiring on longer journeys, poor power for a family of 4, & sluggish in hilly sheffield. So you end up using it as a second car.

Stick a turbo on and they get faster, but durability is shot, you won't get 100k miles like you might on a 1.3 fiesta

I have wondered about the durability of those 3 cylinder 1 litre cars and those big Skodas/Seats with a 1.2 litre leanburn turbo engines

I'll say now, Im no expert, so asking more than telling

Archived