Waterstones ditch gender-specific labelling of children's books

I definitely think that we should reinforce gender specific books. When I read about the PIE thread on here, I cried. I cried because I realised that in a certain period of time in this country, the politics affected the people and how they view themselves and their own gender too. This became in a way changing a person's biological make up in a nurtured way, (through their environments.) If I have girls, I will indeed raise them as girls, and if I have boys, I too would ask my partner for inputs and raise them as boys too. I cannot control what society will do, or what politics will change and affect my kids, but at least I can and try to protect them the best way I could know and how.

So you 'protect' them by enforcing out dated stereotypes?

How would you go about raising a boy other than a boy?

I have girls, It never occurred to me to raise them as girls.

Are you talking about Blue n pink, Guns n dolls, dresses and pants, football n cake baking?

I do not know yet, but yes, I would watch my children like a mother hen. I would just like to raise them to be loving, but yet not to be manipulated, and know when to retreat and not be manipulated, or used. I think this is important. I would also want them to be honest with me of what scares them, and I would remove them from such exposures. There are a lot of things which can influence a child in this day and age.

Social medias, books, people.

---------- Post added 19-03-2014 at 20:32 ----------

So you 'protect' them by enforcing out dated stereotypes?

You mean you will allow your child to be exposed to inappropiate materials which affect their own development and actually ruin any potential future that they may have ?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/23/tallulah-internet-suicide-blogs

Children are not born insecure, they want to be loved, or that they want to bond and they want to learn and grow along with friends or peers. Their insecurity grows when they see the world as a bad place. Adults should encourage children to BE themselves, and not choose books, or any other materials as a political agenda of our own and force that onto them. I was not born in a period whereby "stereotypes" occurred. My mother was a hardworking mom, and I grew up in a matriarchal setup. So I do not know what others seem to imply or mean.

You mean you will allow your child to be exposed to inappropiate materials which affect their own development and actually ruin any potential future that they may have ?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/23/tallulah-internet-suicide-blogs

Sorry but what does the removal of gender specific labelling in book shops have to do with suicide blogs?

Sorry but what does the removal of gender specific labelling in book shops have to do with suicide blogs?

Reading materials in print affect the psychology of the child. This child was exposed to a lot of internet writing on suicide and her mother is asking why isn't there any kind of censorship on this alone. I agree with her.

At the same time, the thread is about whether books, printed materials should be gender specific or not. I said that they should be in a certain way to encourage children to understand, accept, and acknowledge their own gender, without the reading materials changing their own gender psychologically.

The OP did not ask the mere removal of the shelf labelling. She asked if children's books should "stereotype" gender. I am SHOCKED that she thinks that children's books should brainwash a child to disconnect from their own gender. That is what she is implying.

In your experience (of your own or your children's reading preferences), do boys and girls want different things from fiction? If so, is there any point pretending that all books will appeal equally to boys, and girls?

Does the best children's fiction appeal to both?

It seems to me there are some authors (like JK Rowling, Phillip Pullman and Michael Morpurgo) whose books are read and loved equally by both girls and boys, but others whose appeal is quite gender-specific (like Jacqueline Wilson). Perhaps Waterstones' policy will help reduce stereotyping, but I doubt it.

How is it stereotyping a child if a book is written for girls, and if a book is written for boys ? It is outrageous even for her to suggest that this is classed as a "stereotype". This to me is brainwashing children in not allowing them to accept their own gender.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/mar/16/campaign-gender-children-publishing-waterstones-malorie-blackman

Why is it a 'non-story'? Only perhaps for people who never go in a bookshop, or who aren't interested in the issue of gender stereotyping of children.

Thanks for this link.

I said I thought could almost be a non-story because I can't see it [Waterstones] lasting very long.

My thinking was on these lines actually...

wont it make finding a book your interested in harder to find? thats why its done? like it or not in most cases the different sexes do find different things interesting

... and in an incredibly competitive online market, I think it'll not make things better for them.

In reply to salsafan, I don't think anyone's suggesting brainwashing children not to accept their gender. Seems to me it's about doing away with labelling book shop shelves as "Boys Books" or "Girls Books" and just labelling them "Children's Books". You seem to see something sinister in that but why is beyond me.

Archived