Pound coins to be scrapped for new design

Well they will look almost Euro like to physiologically let us think that we are part of Europe in the referendum, but just different enough so as we know the difference between us and the Scot's new currency.

Or is it just me that is cynical at the design of the new coinage ? :hihi:

I have some fondness for the design of the threepenny bit, but I can't help feeling this one hasn't been thought through very well.

First, who forges pound coins anyway? If you were going to forge a coin (is it worth it?), surely you'd do the highest denomination one, i.e. £2. And they're not changing those, are they?

Second, all the supermarket trolleys in the land will have to have different devices fitted to take the new coins. Or (if they don't change them all), you'll have to faff about going into the shop and getting a token the same size and shape as the old pound coin, then going outside again to get your trolley - or remember to keep an old coin specifically for that purpose, when they are phased out. And you cab bet your bendy pound that parking paymeters won't take the new ones. Charges will just go up to a minimum of £2 instead.:rolleyes:

I thought the current £1 coins were the same as the euro, anyway?

---------- Post added 19-03-2014 at 09:02 ----------

Ironic though isn't it.......a pound today will buy you just about the same as the threepenny bit in the sixties.

Hmmm...I used to get 3d pocket money per day when on holiday in the 60s and you could get a packet of Love Hearts and 16 politically incorrect Black Jack sweets for that.

How much would they be now? :confused:

Doesn't it seem a little odd to introduce a new coin to counter counterfeiting and to revel the design 3 years before its release? Nothing like giving the counterfeiters time to prepare.

Looks good though.

have fish and chips really gone up all that much. I paid a fiver for some the other day, which is about 80% of what the server behind the counter is likely getting for an hour's work. I wasn't around in 1965 but I would have thought it to be not much different then.

Archived