Pound coins to be scrapped for new design

Well they will look almost Euro like to physiologically let us think that we are part of Europe in the referendum, but just different enough so as we know the difference between us and the Scot's new currency.

Or is it just me that is cynical at the design of the new coinage ? :hihi:

I best try and shift all those hooky ones I still have then before they change the design.

Y

They have $1000 notes in the US

oh no they don't. $1000 bills (not notes in US English) were begun to be withdrawn from circulation over 40 years ago, and they stopped printing them many years before that, too. Though the very few believed to still exist - only a few hundred - are still legal tender.

what is most silly about US money is that they persist with the $1 bill and have not replaced it with a coin. It is easily the lowest value note you will see in any developed country.

oh no they don't. $1000 bills (not notes in US English) were begun to be withdrawn from circulation over 40 years ago, and they stopped printing them many years before that, too. Though the very few believed to still exist - only a few hundred - are still legal tender.

what is most silly about US money is that they persist with the $1 bill and have not replaced it with a coin. It is easily the lowest value note you will see in any developed country.

And their money smells like cheesy feet.

US bills are also all the same color, and all the same size.

there should not be too many US bills, otherwise it would be like Australian money, and with pictures of people on them that nobody had ever heard of. The $1000 had a picture of Grover Cleveland on it and I bet hardly anybody that isn't a US history buff would be able to put a name to a picture of him.

most obscure US Presidents on their money are Andrew Jackson on $20s and Alexander Hamilton, on $10s. Washington (£1s) Lincoln ($5s) and Grant ($50s) most people would recognise.

I have some fondness for the design of the threepenny bit, but I can't help feeling this one hasn't been thought through very well.

First, who forges pound coins anyway?

Forgers.

cost of changing over from old £1 coin - £20 million

number of forged £1 coins in circulation - £40-50 million

I thought the current £1 coins were the same as the euro, anyway?

nope.

£1 Coin

ø22.5mm

9.5g

3.15mm thick

€1 coin

ø23.25 mm

7.5g

2.33mm thick

Forgers.

cost of changing over from old £1 coin - £20 million

number of forged £1 coins in circulation - £40-50 million

nope.

£1 Coin

ø22.5mm

9.5g

3.15mm thick

€1 coin

ø23.25 mm

7.5g

2.33mm thick

Where does the £20million cost of the change come from and what does it cover? Seems a bit low to me.

Apparently there is a vending machine in the UK for every 55 people, that makes 1.2 million machines.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/mar/31/rise-hi-tech-vending-machine

From the same article:

The thing that defines these vending machines is their crude, mechanical simplicity and invariable reluctance – despite often receiving a Fonz-like whack from the frustrated purchaser's clenched fist – to accept coins without rejecting at least a third of them. (The introduction of new 5p and 10p coins by the Royal Mint was recently delayed until next year after lobbying by the vending industry saying it would cost £17m to recalibrate all its machines.)

... add in parking meters and shopping trolleys and I think 20M is way short of the mark.

jb

Where does the £20million cost of the change come from? …

From the same article:

From the same article: by the vending industry saying it would cost £17m to recalibrate all its machines.)

[£17m to recalibrate coin mechs to accept 2 new coins.]

Looks like you just answered your own question! :P

Also coin mechs vary a lot. Some use a reference coin, some use optical systems, some use inductive coil systems, older mechs rely on crude weight and dimension measurements. All coin mechs need regular cleaning and maintenance in order to operate at all, and a large number of them can be recalibrated with new data for the coin discriminator without any mechanical changes required. Plenty of them can be updated remotely to accept almost any coin.

Bring back the 10 bob note and the pound note, back in the day you might have not got a lot in your pocket but these days these daft little coins like the 5p 10p and 20p and £1 coins really drive it home that are skint. Whats that 5p coin all about. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH:rant::rant::rant:

They used to say that about farthings when I were a lad...:)

---------- Post added 19-03-2014 at 14:26 ----------

Well they will look almost Euro like to physiologically let us think that we are part of Europe in the referendum, but just different enough so as we know the difference between us and the Scot's new currency.

Or is it just me that is cynical at the design of the new coinage ? :hihi:

Umm. Perhaps you mean 'psychologically'.:confused:

[£17m to recalibrate coin mechs to accept 2 new coins.]

Looks like you just answered your own question! :P

Also coin mechs vary a lot. Some use a reference coin, some use optical systems, some use inductive coil systems, older mechs rely on crude weight and dimension measurements. All coin mechs need regular cleaning and maintenance in order to operate at all, and a large number of them can be recalibrated with new data for the coin discriminator without any mechanical changes required. Plenty of them can be updated remotely to accept almost any coin.

How long have you been waiting to flex your knowledge on coin mechanisms?

Where did the £20M cost come from?

jb

Archived