Pound coins to be scrapped for new design

Be that as it may, pound coins fit into euro slots in French supermarket trolleys!

I have two fake pound coins (and a token) for trolleys. Maybe that could be a way of reducing the cost of the change, simply distribute all the fake pounds coins to each household for use in supermarket trolleys.

jb

Nope, polygonal coin based on the thruppenny bit. Chunky, nickel-brass coin with 12 sides I think.

I inherited a 2 quarts whisky bottle full of the old 3d coins. I can't wait to try them in slot machines.

---------- Post added 19-03-2014 at 13:53 ----------

I have two fake pound coins (and a token) for trolleys. Maybe that could be a way of reducing the cost of the change, simply distribute all the fake pounds coins to each household for use in supermarket trolleys.

jb

In the village where I lived several years ago someone turned about 50 brass washers the diameter of pound coins and emptied a stamp machines in the post office. I think after that £1 slot machines were quickly phased out.

Ironic though isn't it.......a pound today will buy you just about the same as the threepenny bit in the sixties.

3d in 1965 would be worth around 50p today, not £1.

I remember buying three pennerth of chips in the early sixties.

Where can you buy a bag of chips for less than a pound today?

You certainly can't buy them for 50p.

How long have you been waiting to flex your knowledge on coin mechanisms?

Where did the £20M cost come from?

jb

I spent the early part of the 2000s collaborating with a company [that used to be] called Barcrest, in Ashton under Lyne …

I heard the figure on the radio. It doesn't seem wildly out of kilter with your source, and I suspect whichever trade association supports vending machine operators will have plumped up the figure a little in their own political interest.

And it's the vending machine operators that are passing the cost of fake £1 coins onto we, the consumers.

Depends what you're buying!

Some commodity prices have inflated more than others, e.g. fish and chips. I would be interested to know about the Love Hearts, though.

I remember buying three pennerth of chips in the early sixties.

Where can you buy a bag of chips for less than a pound today?

You certainly can't buy them for 50p.

Yes, interesting point. I wonder about this 7 years ago, and with forummers help created this...

I never included Love Hearts though :) (I think Mars Bars was the nearest I got from members)

If only currency wasn't made out of cheap little bits of metal & printed paper. You'd think with all these computers around we'd have something electronic that worked well & couldn't be forged by now.

I think everyone thought that it would be sooner than later.

Personally, I still prefer to deal in cash. 'Electronic money' (i.e online buying) is too easy to spend :hihi:

I think the reason that it hasn't changed to electronic money yet, is because people don't trust enough yet. And it's 'all these computers' that is the reason! (nice bit of circular arguing)...

I can't see how hacking can ever be stopped, and though 'real cash' can be stolen, the change in complete money transaction behaviour won't alter for a while yet.

-

edit to add.

Think of Greece and the money issues - would you want ALL your money in electronic form. What if a government gets overthrown, and someone else takes over the system, like Ukraine now. What happens when a government or banks decide they won't hand the money over? Recent events won't quicken the process of transfer IMO. I prefer to have some 'money on the hip', as the saying goes.

Archived