Pound coins to be scrapped for new design

Like when the new 50p was introduced. And the new 10p. And the £2 coin. It was mayhem I tell you - a total catastrophe, we're still living with the aftermath today.

Won't somebody think of the children?

I, for one, am still reeling from having to obtain a new piggy bank with a slot big enough for a two pound coin.

jb

---------- Post added 25-03-2014 at 12:29 ----------

How do you tell a forged pound coin?

I have only ever knowingly came across two of them, both still in my possession. They are quite obviously fake with no edge lettering and poorly embossed images on both sides.

jb

When the current puond coin first came out to replace the note there was a move to call it a Thatcher.

Beacause it was Brassy and had pretentions of being a sovreign

The new one pound coin.

12 sides to reflect the faces of the government when dealing with foreign nations and our own people.

Though I did hear someone say it was to show the number of honest politicians.

Two different materials because the committee could not make its mind up.

Whether or not it wall cause vending machine chaos remains to be seen. But as long as the forgeries are the same thickness diameter and weight I'm pretty sure the vending machines will take them whether or not they have 12 sides around the edge. To offset the potential losses you will soon have to use £2 coins in the machines but don't exoect much if any change.

Archived