Right of way question.

He has a side indicator as well.

One can be prosecuted for "Driving without Due Care and Attention".

Not sure if this applies to cyclists. I'm not sticking up for either party.

Dont think the cyclist will be bothered if the lorry driver gets done for D W D C A if hes laying in hosp with no legs on. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Im in my car traveling in slow moving traffic (less that 10 mph) and there is a row of cars behind me all traveling at the same speed and then i indicate left to turn off the road and into another.

A cyclist comes barreling down the road at well over 10 mph and ignores or dosent see the fact im indicating and turning off the road. Im in the middle of my maneuver before he is in sight. He almost came a cropper and went onto the path, just missed a women on crutches and then stopped, dismounted and then verbally abused me and my passenger (a 5 year old girl i was taking to school) and then the women on crutches before getting on his bike and heading off.

Ignoring the abuse the moron hurled at us who was in the right in terms of the maneuver? I maintain i was in the right, id checked my mirrors, i indicated, he was no where in sight, i started my maneuver and then he appeared. My car is equipped with a quad cam setup so had it resulted in damage im confident id be ok in terms of the insurance.

By the way, this moron is not what most cyclists behave like, for the most part they are ok, quite sensible and mostly do the right thing but theres an element of tools out there who do this sort of thing then do a runner when theyve caused damage. Im aware that there are lots of car drivers who are idiots too. This isnt about that, all i want to know is who was in the right?

Should he have waited? He was behind me, i was maneuvering and i was signalling and when i started my turn he was no where in sight.

Ta

Was there a cycle lane on the left? If yes you are wrong If No you are ok. ...If No cycle lane on the left !?!?! and coming up beside you to turn left , the cyclist is in the wrong.

One can be prosecuted for "Driving without Due Care and Attention".

thats true, but one can also be killed for cycling without due care and attention.

which in this case the story we have is; the driver indicated and looked and was undertook.

all the due care and attention in the world cannot prevent accidents or stupidity.

Eventually people have to be responsible and realistic about what they are doing and what could happen. the world is a hard place, literally.

I've cycled at night, drunk, the wrong way up dual carriageways without lights. due care and attention can only do so much...

On the basis of what you said in the OP, it seems to me like your checks and observation were insufficient for the manoeuvre (if they were sufficient, you would have seen him before making your manoeuvre).

If there's a blind spot, assume someone is in it.

re bold. Really? in every case? not likely.

so if a cyclist filters up to a lorry who's waiting at the front of the queue who is indicting who has right of way? imo the cyclist is still in the protracted action of undertaking squarely putting the blame at their pedals if they continue to undertake a left turning lorry.

In the majority of the cases, which I assumed is what you were interested in.

If a cyclist filters up the side of an indicating lorry then they're suicidal. Most people aren't.

---------- Post added 21-03-2014 at 08:41 ----------

They are not entitled, nor are they wise to filter past a vehicle signalling left at a junction.

The Highway Code is clear. As are the accident statistics.

That's okay, I've not once said that they are entitled to filter past indicating vehicles. I've said exactly the opposite.

Banjodean however didn't say that, he said that cycles were NOT entitled to filter and in that he is wrong, they are when the circumstances are appropriate.

---------- Post added 21-03-2014 at 08:47 ----------

Dont think the cyclist will be bothered if the lorry driver gets done for D W D C A if hes laying in hosp with no legs on. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And what are you trying to prove by being so callous about people being seriously injured or killed? It doesn't make you big or clever.

The rule in the Netherlands is really simple: if you turn, all traffic going straight on travelling in the same or opposite direction has right of way.

We should adopt that rule here. It makes perfect sense and leaves everyone in no doubt as to their responsibility.

I have to say some of the posts on here show a cavalier disregard for cyclists and a frightening lack of awareness of the rules of the road.

however trying to look at it from the cyclist perspective, if your car was placed enough to the right in the line of traffic he might not have seen your rear indicator, but I can't think of a good reason why he didn't see your side one..

where did this happen exactly and what car do you drive?

The onus is still on the one making the undertaking manoeuvre to ensure it is safe to do so. Any cyclist filtering on the left should be doubly careful when passing a left turn.

jb

Cyclescheme has the following to say on filtering on the left:

Filtering means moving past queues of stationary or slow-moving traffic. Go to any town or city and you'll see cyclists and motorcyclists doing this. It's quite legal and it enables you to make progress when wider vehicles cannot.

In some circumstances, you can even pass on the left. Such 'undertaking' comes with a critical warning: never, ever undertake a long vehicle such as bus or an articulated lorry unless it is completely stationary and will remain so until you are safely past.

If in any doubt, don't attempt to undertake. You will be in the driver's blind spot. If the vehicle moves to the left a little or, even worse, begins a left turn, you may go under its wheels and die. Some lorries even have signs for cyclists on the back nowadays, saying 'Right side' (on the off side) and 'Suicide' (on the near side).

Filtering on the left: undertaking

Overtake on the kerb side only if the traffic is stationary and there's no room on the right-hand side. If in doubt, wait. Good road positioning means not hugging the kerb. So don't dive into a riskily narrow roadside gap, even if it's a painted-green bike lane or another cyclist has just done so. If you're next to the kerb, you have no room to manoeuvre.

Take care when passing side roads, as the rest of the traffic may not have seen you. And keep an eye out for passengers stepping off buses or out of cars.

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community/how-to/filtering

jb

They are not entitled, nor are they wise to filter past a vehicle signalling left at a junction.

The Highway Code is clear. As are the accident statistics.

Wrong, they are entitled. See rule 151

be aware of cyclists and motorcyclists who may be passing on either side

And an interesting take on the legal position for some instances of filtering

http://thecyclingsolicitor.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/the-legal-position-where-cyclist-is.html

jb

Archived